How much trouble can I get in renting a spare room out on Airbnb?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Jason

Re: How much trouble can I get in renting a spare room out on Airbnb?

Post by Jason »

I thought this thread was going to be about the dangers of leasing out a room to a kush smoking cannibal not the technicalities of breaking the terms of a lease.

Obviously, you know the potential fallout which could range from never being caught to unwittingly leasing out to a kush smoking cannibal who goes American Horror on your fucking neighbors. Then the shit gets real.

Obviously, you know its wrong, but you just want public consensus to tell you its Ok which is to be quite honest, is very weak sauce.

Would you like it if everyone in your building pulled this type of shit and just decided to live according to what they think they could get away with as opposed to the obligations of their leases? It would be a goddam circus. Would you like it if you were the landlord? Do you like it when people agree to do things but then decide to do otherwise because you are not in their presence?

To be quite honest, if I was Jacob, I'd kick you off this fucking board for even raising this type of bullshit. But then I'd get kicked off too because I'm also a major league douche.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Viktor K wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:04 am
That little piece of paper doesn't mean anything unless you want it to.
A lease is a legal contract, and thus enforceable by all parties under the contract law of the applicable jurisdiction; its not a meaningless piece of paper. By signing the lease and moving in, he volunteered to give that piece of paper meaning.

P_K

Post by P_K »

Jason wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:07 pm
Obviously, you know its wrong, but you just want public consensus to tell you its Ok which is to be quite honest, is very weak sauce.
If one ever finds themselves crowd-sourcing their super-ego they need to do two things:

1. Stop
2. Not do whatever action they were looking to validate. You can be damn sure that any action justified by having the support of >0 internet strangers is an action that needs reevaluated in a serious and reflective manner.

Considering James_0011's confusion on this being an ethical issue at all I am not sure if this was actually what he was doing. But, since it obviously is an ethical issue, I would still recommend a serious reflection on the activity in question. Asking the above posters for clarification was a good first step and hopefully their arguments resonated.

Jason

Post by Jason »

James 0011 first sentence is that he wants to engage in an activity that will certainly be disapproved by the landlord and the apartment complex. He is concerned with getting caught but has come up with ideas of how he will engage in duplicitous and deceptive conduct (no pictures, back exits).

James 0011 goes on to acknowledge that his actions might offend his landlord to the extent that eviction could ensue. An awareness by James 0011 that such a punitive measure is justified by the offended party in response to his considered actions implies an awareness that, I would argue, embeds an ethical awareness. Otherwise he is just a sociopath, someone who has learned not to do things because others consider them to be wrong. In the landlord/tenant relationship eviction is the equivalent of divorce in the marital relationship. You can actually just change this thread to "How Much Trouble Can I Get In For Ass Fucking My Sister In Law" and we will have essentially the same discussion.

James 0011 first paragraph frames this entire issue in terms of how he will deceive his landlord and is willing to live with a certain degree of punishment (eviction but not court). However, when the issue of ethics arises, he claims to be lost and claims the rules are non-sensical and comes up with a list of false equivalencies. Now if this was the Holocaust board and the poster was Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the thread title was "How Much Trouble Can I Get in Hiding Jews Under My Floorboards" there might be a different angle to the question but generally speaking when someone expresses concern about getting "caught" its not for doing the "right" let alone a "technically wrong but for the better good" thing.

And yes, different cultures have different views towards agreements. But here in America, its all about documents and signatures. Our country was founded upon and is based on documents with signatures.

James 0011 knows damn well what he is doing is wrong but needs an internet wheel man to snort a few lines on his coffee table to muster up the courage to pistol whip the old lady who walks her dog before she settles in to watch reruns of "The Golden Girls."