Off Grid Living

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
jmsims2

Post by jmsims2 »

Here is a question...for those looking to or already living off the electric grid (or semi-off grid) how did you do it? From what I have read, solar can be quite the investment. Is there any viable way to DIY? Or any other power sources? I know Jacob has mentioned solar panels before, I wondered if you planned to buy them or make them or what? I would love to stop paying money to the utility and start making my own power if it is feasible.
Thanks.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I don't think it is within the reach of mortals to make their own PV panels.
Solar water heaters are fairly simple though, the easiest one being a couple hundred feet of garden hose on the roof which then leads back in. Obviously, this can be supplemented with a hot water heater and arranged so that thermal convention automatically keeps the water heater warm.
Wind and water power should be within the reach of DIY.

jmsims2

Post by jmsims2 »

I had found this site: http://www.mdpub.com/SolarPanel/index.html
However, it looks like his setup powers batteries which he then uses to power different items for a period of time. That might work for some situations, however it would also be nice to tie it into the home somehow...
Thanks for the feedback Jacob and also thanks for the forum. It is fantastic.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Clever. I didn't know you could buy the cells on ebay like that.
Once the system gets bigger (two panels that size), you need a charge regulator to protect the batteries, and if you want to run 110V appliances, you need an inverter.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

You could just buy a property already set up. See #9093747 and #10043333 on rmls.com (use the number search).

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I think this technology could prove very useful for the people out West.
http://www.coolerado.com/
It's basically a Swamp cooler on roids.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I posted this in another similarly titled thread a week ago:
Anyone read the book Off the Grid by Nick Rosen? I saw this on Huffington Post today and thought I'd pass it along:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nick-rose ... 54157.html

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I have not read Nick Rosen, but I saw a great documentary about Micheal Reynolds and earthships called "Garbage Warriors". It's real good and covers issues like peak oil.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Speaking of swamp coolers, Turbokool makes a 12V swamp cooler. If our Colemans die, I'll probably put one of those in.

Q

Post by Q »

I think a combined COGEN and Solar/Wind system completely gets you off grid. The COGEN supplies all heating and cooling plus energy from it's movements with water, while solar and wind provide back-up systems.
Worst case you install a large generator.

ermine

Post by ermine »

How much are your power companies gouging you guys in the States? I can understand wanting to sock it to the Man, but
I would love to stop paying money to the utility and start making my own power if it is feasible.
Your ROI will suck. I have managed to get my electricity power consumption down to 3kWh/day - half of that is my fridge freezer. Even that is a BIG ask of solar power. I know the sun shines more that in the UK and your latitude is probably lower but the up-front cost of the solar cells may dent your ERE plans :(

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

ermine - in my service area (Oregon City, OR), the rate is about 7 cents per kw-HR. By the time you add tariffs, line maintenance, and whatever other fixed charges there are, the rate works out to about 12 cents per kw-HR at our consumption level (can't find the stub from the last electric bill, darn it). We'll get a 7-9% rate increase next year. Curiously, it took me a long time to find this information on the company's web site (portlandgeneral.com), though it is readily available on the monthly bill.
Since we get incentives and tax breaks, adding a solar array that is co-generation (not off-grid) would likely be break-even. If you're paying to have clean energy delivered, then you'd be ahead of the game to add a solar array.

ermine

Post by ermine »

George, you guys are lucky :)
I pay 16p/kWh (25 cents/kWh) inclding all those fixed costs. We have a similar scheme for solar generation, which results in a payback time of 12 years using a grid-tie inverter (sounds like your co-generation).
It's likely to be less that 12 years because energy costs are likely to go up in the 12 years, but even so that is a long time - this is the time to break even, so there is an argument that the capital investment should also be discounted.
However, OR is much further south and less cloudy, so your payback times may be good. Hope you feel better about your 12 cents/kWh costs though :)