Are your flood plans adequate?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
enigmaT120

Re: Are your flood plans adequate?

Post by enigmaT120 »

Was there a movie made about the 1953 flood? I remember seeing one about a flood in the Netherlands when I was a little kid but can't remember if it was a movie, documentary, nor where I saw it.

J_

Post by J_ »

@Enigma:historical film about flooding in The Netherlands in 1953 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcX5wb1k9UM

leeholsen

Post by leeholsen »

George the original one wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:22 am
Buried streams are less of a problem than paved-over swamps. Houston, New Orleans, Miami, D.C. are all paved-over swamps with limited high-ground. They are just big bathtubs waiting to be filled up.
Living in Houston, I can tell you it is not a paved over swamp; it's essentially coastland and it, like most of the gulf coast and Florida have two problems:

1. On average, it's less than 50 feet above sea level for most of these areas until you get about 75 miles inland or better, so there is no real runoff potential for storms.
2. Because of the gulf coast and Florida's location, hurricanes will be a constant threat. The Carolinas and farther north you have to consider hurricanes hitting there unusual; but the gulf coast should expect it.

If I were an insurance company, I would have jacked up everyones rates that are in Florida or within 100 miles of the gulf coast at whatever the highest rate is for beachfront property in hurricane territory. It should be almost detrimental to live in those areas because of the insurance because as you see, they hit hard and it's going to be tough for insurance companies and cost that taxpayers a lot from the federal bailouts.

living there is a big risk, there should be a big cost associated with it.

(and yes, i'm moving away once my parents pass on)