It is worth commuting further for cheaper rent?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
vexed87

Re: It is worth commuting further for cheaper rent?

Post by vexed87 »

Don't let hills put you off, if you have a geared bicycle you can get used to them pretty quickly!

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

@vexed

Idk, I'm not interested in having to go through an obstacle course just to get to work...

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

In your case I think it is a no brainer to save on the rent and go with option B. 3.5 miles from work is pretty much speed walking distance within an hour...Get a nice podcast and take those times to clear your mind and what/not.

conwy

Post by conwy »

I found the calculation wasn't always the same.

When I lived in Sydney, it was cheaper to rent close to work, compared to the weekly commute fare.

Whereas currently living in London, I found a place that was so cheap that even with weekly commute taken into account, it was cheaper than anything else I could get close in, as well as being safer (safety is more of a concern in London) and in certain ways, nicer.

The commute is working out well for me. Due to the hours I work, I typically commute during non-peak-hours, and I can easily get off one stop early to take a brisk half-hour walk or hit the gym, so it doesn't interfere with fitness. I can also get work done during the commute, because it's a very comfortable train ride.