Look at this guy's solution!

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Checking Carly

Post by Checking Carly »

I stumbled across this article the other day and it made me think immediately of ERE
http://knsfinancial.com/man-finds-conte ... qft-house/
It might not be as roomy as an RV, but he's got everything he needs in a very small space, and I love that he can just tow it around like that. What do you guys think? Could you live like that?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

That's Jay Schafer of Tumbleweedhouses. Search for "tiny house" and you'll find tons of info. He also designs 500 sqft versions with solid foundations. He operates out of NorCal a few hours from here.
I was considering one of these, but DW said no(*). Even if you build them yourself, then unless you're very good at sourcing materials, a used RV will likely be less expensive.
(*) Even JS moved into a bigger house when he got a wife.
The downside of the RV is that it won't be as well insulated and won't look as good, etc.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

No way... it would be stressful living with someone is such a small space.
Not to mention the shiny, "oh how cute!" curb appeal likely comes with a big price tag. I'd rather get something ugly, but more functional.

knsfinancial

Post by knsfinancial »

@ Checking Carly - Thank you for posting a link to my article in this forum!
As far as the question that you asked...No, I don't think I could do something that extreme, but I can understand his reasons.
However, I do think it should make us re-evaluate some of our "needs"!

CestLaVie

Post by CestLaVie »

When I was a single guy, I used to live in a 150 sq, ft. studio apartment. I loved it and would do it again if I became single.

knsfinancial

Post by knsfinancial »

@ CestLaVie, what exactly did you enjoy most?

CestLaVie

Post by CestLaVie »

@knsfinancial, small spaces have 2 obvious advantages for me: they are easy to keep clean and they are easy on the wallet. But I also like how small homes require very efficient use of space, just like a RV. A place for everything and everything in its place. No room for clutter and useless stuff.

knsfinancial

Post by knsfinancial »

I agree with all of these! I was very impressed with his use of every inch of space. I hate cleaning and wasting money...maybe I should think about downsizing - but then I always justify staying where I am.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I don't know I think this is past the point of diminishing returns.
Would take a lot of time, planning and effort just to do simple tasks.

shawn

Post by shawn »

I always wondered what he would do if a fire took place while he was asleep up stairs. The Tiny windows would be difficult to get out of.

Checking Carly

Post by Checking Carly »

@Jacob I can definitely see why DW would object. There's only really enough room for one in those houses.
@JohnnyH I would never think about suggesting that two people live in one of those. It is exactly enough room for one person and that's it. Although you can obviously sit out on the deck with your friends.
@shawn Good question. Maybe he keep an emergency exit in the roof? :)

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

This couple wants to move into that small of a house: Rowdy Kittens. They live in a small apartment right now.
I consider the author to be more similar than different to Jacob, but easier for some to understand.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the 120sqft counts the ground floor only. If that is so, our place is not a whole lot larger. Our space minus the driving area is about twice as large with space wasted for walk ways.
This means that a tumbleweed has 120+sleeping loft. We have 120(kitchen+living)+120(bath+bedroom).
Two of me could do it, that is, two minimalists can do it. A regular person needs to have too much stuff in the closets and cupboards or simply laying around for it to work.
I have only seen videos of tiny houses, but from what I see, the interior is larger than a 30' boat and two people can certainly live in that. And they do.
It's mainly a function of how much clutter they bring along (not very much) and how good they are at decluttering (should be very good).

Concojones

Post by Concojones »

About a living room... do you even need one in California?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Define need ;-)

GuelphDC

Post by GuelphDC »

If need be, you could build a yurt or something like it for entertaining once in a while:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt
I could live in one of these tiny houses easily - my wife, not so much

Marius

Post by Marius »

Mish blogs:
Think this will this catch on? I don't, at least in a big way. 84 square foot homes (or even 250) are simply too extreme. However, tiny homes are just a small part of a major and growing trend towards frugality and downsizing in general.
That trend has just begun. It is a crucial part of the deflationary environment in which we live.

Concojones

Post by Concojones »

@jacob: make that "WANT a living room" :-) Seriously, do you and DW spend a lot of time inside your "living room"? I imagine (disclaimer: I've only taken a few short trips to CA) I'd only sleep and cook in the RV and spend my time outside, provided there's some I could sit in.
@Marius: I don't see this grow beyond a small movement either.

knsfinancial

Post by knsfinancial »

Wow, this trend seems to be bigger than I originally thought. But I can't imagine this becoming a mainstream trend. But then again, if it ever did, I'm sure people would find a way to destroy the original intent!

shawn

Post by shawn »

I like this guys solution. I will admit I found this through Jacob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jdIm7grCY