Cost of living comparisons by state in the US

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
bradley

Re: Cost of living comparisons by state in the US

Post by bradley »

Conversely, these states have the "least sold out futures" and are probably worth looking at. Not shocked to see Florida there :lol:

GandK

Post by GandK »

Related: People in Alaska are happiest

These state-level data are based on more than 176,000 interviews with U.S. adults across all 50 states, conducted from January to December 2014. The Well-Being Index is calculated on a scale of 0 to 100, where 0 represents the lowest possible well-being and 100 represents the highest possible well-being. The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index score for the nation and for each state consists of metrics affecting overall well-being and each of the five essential elements of well-being:

Purpose: liking what you do each day and being motivated to achieve your goals
Social: having supportive relationships and love in your life
Financial: managing your economic life to reduce stress and increase security
Community: liking where you live, feeling safe, and having pride in your community
Physical: having good health and enough energy to get things done daily

Hawaii, Colorado Lead All States With Most Top 10 Rankings

Hawaii and Colorado are the only two states to be in the top 10 for well-being every year since tracking began in 2008. In addition to these two states, 10 others have finished in the top 10 at least three times in the past seven years: Montana, Utah, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Iowa, South Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming and Vermont.

Arkansas, Ohio, and Mississippi join West Virginia and Kentucky as the only states that have appeared among the lowest 10 well-being states in all seven years of tracking.
Alaska being at the top of the list surprises me, given that (a) so many people flee cold weather, and (b) lack of sunlight affects so many people's happiness levels. I guess the natural beauty makes up for that?

Great list in any case. Me, I'm in the middle of the corridor of misery.

For now. :D

GandK

Post by GandK »

Also, from TaxFoundation.org, the 2014 real value of $100 in each state (how far it will go).

The 2013 numbers are above, in my August 22 post from last year. Not a lot of movement, although some states show more change than others.