ERE-city and ERE-country (non-US)

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Hankaroundtheworld

ERE-city and ERE-country (non-US)

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

Hi, I noticed that a US-only thread exists on ERE-City, but I think there is a growing community that is willing to live everywhere, with some criteria of course, which is personal, but it could be:
* Climate
* Tax regime (Tax friendly on worldwide income)
* Cost of Living versus Quality of Living
* Medical (insurance and quality of support)
* VISA requirements (how easy to get long-term VISA, and no harsh requirements)
* Culture and People (Quality of social life)
* Political stability
* Proximity to home Country (for visits Family and Friends)

Of course, you could argue that ERE can be achieved anywhere in this world, and that is true, but some spots in this world could help to make it faster and more pleasant!

Let me know if you like to help out, would be nice to collect a growing list of strong ERE-cities and countries world wide.

jennypenny

Re: ERE-city and ERE-country (non-US)

Post by jennypenny »

There is a place on the wiki for this as well. Feel free to add anything you'd like to the wiki.
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/wiki/ ... =Countries

rube

Post by rube »

For people that hold an EU passport, they can live anywhere in the EU and France - Spain - Portugal are well known for their destinations for the (old-fashioned-way) retired people from Northern Europe.

For people from Northern Europe it is nearby (cheap and frequent flights to home country), mostly always cheaper as the northern countries and a nice climate.

In Asia I have also met people that were living as a retiree in Thailand, Sri Lanka and the Philippines. I don't know enough of details regarding visa etc. but first of all the [general Asian] culture and climate is very different from Northern Europe (and USA). You must be able to appreciate or at least feel comfortable with, before even considering it further. And, it is of course more difficult to get back cheap and fast to your home country.
I probably could live in one of these or other Asian countries myself, but my wife in combination with our children is another story (at least for long term). From the different countries I have visited in Asia, I think Thailand would my preferred choice.

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

jennypenny wrote:There is a place on the wiki for this as well. Feel free to add anything you'd like to the wiki.
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/wiki/ ... =Countries
Not much info yet on this wiki, except, funny enough, the Netherlands (my home Country). I am currently studying on Turkey, so I can add more info on that when I have collected it. I hope others can add more on other Countries. So far as I can trace, there is a growing interest in "reliable" info on that (not those international living websites that promotes real estate buying)