Cheap housing option: house sitting?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
S

Post by S »

Right now I'm house/pet sitting for a family friend for 2 weeks. I never thought about doing it for full time housing, but I did some research today and it *appears* to be a viable option for people who aren't tied to a specific location and like pets. There's everything from families on vacation for a week to "The Shining"-style off-season caretaking. Anyone been a house sitter before or known someone who has used one? I am intrigued but it seems potentially too good to be true.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

Ran Priuer (ranprieur.com) does this all the time.

a.e.k

Post by a.e.k »

I have known people who house-sit fulltime (and yes, usually are retired, location-independent folks). Some had expressed that they were tired of continually shifting themselves around, but another couple I met was heading to France for a 6 month house-sit!

I'm not sure how you get in those circles but it's possible.

photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I've used a house sitter before. Whenever we go on vacation, my wife has one come in to take care of the dog. The house sitter walks the dog at least twice a day and stays overnight.
It's great for the dog but It's not very ERE friendly.