Moving House by Hand Truck

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

I just did it this past weekend. :)
I hadn't planned to, but I realized that the bike trailer I ordered wasn't going to be here until during the week, and my lease is ending towards the end of the week. I borrowed a hand truck from my office-mate to at least have the option of getting some of the larger things out of my way so I can touch up the paint and clean up the place. I just got on a roll and ended up doing about 12 round trips over the weekend. Got some weird looks from all the Dominicanos hanging out--I probably would have been taken aback by me too.
Mind you, it was only a 17-block move, which is a mile, but a lot of it is slightly uphill. I still have three more trips to make, but that was the bulk of it.
It turned what is normally a short amount of hard work into an epic journey that I'll never forget. I unfortunately have not developed the minimalist side of my ERE self, so I probably lugged a few thousand pounds of stuff to the new place. This is what I see as the long-term benefit of having moved in this manner--I have a greater, deeper sense of what it will mean to own much, much less stuff the next time I move. With any luck, I won't move until ERE (3.5-4 years).
Why didn't I ask friends for help? My close NYC friends have helped me move in the past, and I've moved pretty often, so I felt sheepish about it. I also quickly became interested in the pure feat of doing it myself, by hand. I thought a few times of my great-grandfather, who I never met, but who was one of the many small-time Jewish merchants in the Kiev, Ukraine, pushing his heavy cart all around.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Awesome!!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

That's impressive! I am surprised you did not focus on minimalism after the 3rd trip:) I understand not asking for help. If there is any way I can do something myself, I never do, even when many people owe me.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

oh yeah, total cost = $9. free boxes, four subway rides (2x get boxes, 2x get and return hand truck).
or alternatively, $114--i still bought the yet-to-arrive bike trailer--but that thing's going to see a lot of use anyway, and presumably will last for a few decades.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Very impressive!
FWIW, I don't think you need to count the bike trailer if you didn't use it for the move.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

There's nothing like moving to make you truly aware of how much stuff/crap you own. I just loaded up 1/3 of the back of a friends cargo van that he uses for his business, even after selling a ton of stuff on craigslist over the past 2 months.
I'll be extra motivated to dump some more stuff in the coming months, as this new place is 1/2 the size of my current place for 1/2 the price :-D

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

I'm trying to get a mental picture here...was your 'hand truck' a two-wheel cart, like a beer vendor would use to unload a truck, or more like a luggage cart you'd see a bellhop pushing around? Either way, good work!

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

@Ralphy a sturdy two-wheeler with adjustable (height) back.