Vivos Shelters?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Q

Post by Q »

$10,000,000 gets you such a shelter. It was on the radio yesterday. They say 200 plots @ $50,000 each and the spokesperson compared it to people who buy speedboats or ATV's or "mid-sized luxury cars", etc.
Interesting concept since housing has been the light of the forum right now

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It's a cool idea, but I question if they can really make it that affordable when everything is said and done. I like in ground living spaces as they have the best solution for handling climate swings. However, I would like a south facing window:)
For me, I think planning for the end of the world is a poor investment (except maybe if I owned that vivos site) because after you live a year in safety, you still need to have a sustainable plan for farming, fresh water, etc. If the other survivors have a new regime of power then the efforts might be so you live to be a slave.
Even if we had the time/money to acquire all the needed skills and supplies, we don't really know what the state of the earth will be. It is kind of like the year 2000. Many people set up food shelters and bought wood stoves, but nothing happened. Now they are left with a bunch of food they don't really care to eat and wood stoves they don't have easy to find wood for. It would be a bummer to have an underground home no one cared to live in. The windowless rooms remind me too much of my office job:)
I would maybe get a few books on the skills needed for survival, and some excess of some food staples I eat on a regular basis and that have a long shelf life, but I don't think people will have many options they can prepare for after a nuclear world war.
Now making plans for until the end of the world however...I'm all about that! Especially if I can justify them in today's dollars.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Ha... Anyone else played any Fallout games?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I live about a mile from a primary target, so I got nothing to worry about in terms of fallout ;-)

Budro

Post by Budro »

I'd be worried about the whole thing being a con game. Or, when the SHTF, being like the main character in "Lucifiers Hammer" and being turned away. What if the majority of the people at your assigned site are religious zealouts or have views completely opposed to your own? By the time you find that out, it's too late.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@Budro: Lucifer's Hammer, good book :)

Emanuel

Post by Emanuel »

Imagine your self down there for an entire year, and the food / energy running out.. doesn't look brighter then the doomsday tbh.
I didn't like the videos on the site, to much assumptions for my own good, and despite the fact that Vivos doesn't endorse any particular religion, their propaganda relies on it.
There is also one thing missing, the guns & ammo payment method.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

What! You mean you don't think the world is gonna end in 2012!:)
You can make a lot of money if you can get people to worry about something.