Near Zero Expenses

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Ego

Re: Near Zero Expenses

Post by Ego »

There are a bunch of young & middle aged people hanging out at the hostel here in Istanbul who have used http://www.workaway.info/ to find part-time gigs in exchange for accommodation and meals. It seems to be a good way to settle in a new place and learn the ropes without bleeding money. Some have moved on to lucrative, illegal, paid positions.

riparian

Post by riparian »

OldPro, what I did was to lower my expenses to $300-500/m and develop passive income of $600-2000/m and optional freelance work. I don't have huge savings or anything, but I consider myself very semi-ERE.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Our 4th attempt is beginning to take shape. This is our blank slate, a one-bedroom with a slide-out Murphy bed. View of the bay, park and trash cans :D .

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Very nice! I sometimes consider the possibility of taking on the position of live in nanny for an affluent, young workaholic couple so that I would be the human actually spending most of my waking hours living in posh house and garden. Unfortunately, due to excessive reading of novels in my errant youth, I always imagine this adventure climaxing with me in bed with attractive visiting Grandfather, so then it seems like it would just be more efficient to cut to the chase.

ScrewTheAverage
Location: Continual long-term travelling since 2016 (4 continents, 26 countries, ~80 cities)

Post by ScrewTheAverage »

Great housing hack!

We do something similar with the outcome being very low monthly expenses. We're full time house sitters (63 so far) that have had the pleasure of visiting four continents, 26 countries, and ~80 cities. Our budget in 2018 was $7.5K, and in 2019 it was $7K (both years are for two people and all-in).