PSA: Remember to Clean Air Conditioner

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Gilberto de Piento

PSA: Remember to Clean Air Conditioner

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

This is super middle-aged man dorky, but if you have an air conditioner don't forget to clean it once in a while. It takes about an hour and requires a vacuum, a hose, and a screwdriver (maybe a specialized oil if you need to lubricate the bearings). I just realized this was a thing and it turns out mine is partially covered in dandelion fuzz and leaves which makes it less efficient. I don't use it much but I don't want to waste electricity or cause it to burn out. I set up a reminder in my calendar to do this every April.

Some basic instructions, be sure to follow the step where you turn off the power before working on it: https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/ ... nser-unit/

IlliniDave

Re: PSA: Remember to Clean Air Conditioner

Post by IlliniDave »

And for those who use it more, and have indoor exchangers ala a heat pump, don't forget to keep an eye on the condensation drain. Algae thrives in them and they will eventually clog up. This can cause water damage on older units. Newer ones usually have float valves which will disable the system when the pipe fills with water. The typical preventive remedy is to pour some bleach into the pipe then flush with hot water. I do that in the early spring here, a/c season usually starts in late spring here and runs through September some years. Maybe could do it every few years at higher latitudes.