(deleted for privacy)

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
cloudeleven

(deleted for privacy)

Post by cloudeleven »

(deleted for privacy)
Last edited by cloudeleven on Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

macg

Re: Approved for apartment, but they want me to pay rent when someone is still living there for next 2 months?

Post by macg »

For their first mistake, I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Go to them tomorrow, confirm all the dates / costs, walk out of there with it all in writing, on a physical piece of paper, and have them email it to you as well.

It could be that they just entered the wrong dates in the wrong place.

Plus, in person, you should be able to get a better feel, to feel more comfortable that they're not trying to scam you.

Miss Lonelyhearts

Re: Approved for apartment, but they want me to pay rent when someone is still living there for next 2 months?

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

I once read an article on the wisdom of taking a bench trial (judge decides guilt or innocence) instead of a jury trial. One piece of advice the author shared was that a bench trial is riskier, since jurors are often reluctant to hand down guilty verdicts with long sentences attached, whereas judges see life-changing decisions made every day, and will think nothing of sentencing someone to a decade plus in prison.

From what you’ve written, it’s not possible for me to say whether your prospective landlord is up to something fishy. However, in the context you describe—large complex, full time leasing and maintenance staff—it seems entirely possible that your apartment is nothing but letters and numbers on a page to the person who filled out your paperwork, and she wrote the date she did because the current month is May, and most leases start the month they’re written.

Gather more data, trust yourself, and try not to assume anything—good or bad—for as long as possible.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

My first thought is that it is a "typo" on the spreadsheet, or a misunderstanding (sounds like the spreadsheet was done on 5/19 for a 7/19 move-in). It probably should reference pro-rated rent for july 20-july31. It's been a long time since I rented an apartment but rent for a given month was always due on the first of the month for the month in question. Since your first month is partial having a partial month due at move-in seems reasonable. I agree you should probably go there in person if you can and get it clarified. Based on what you quoted, it doesn't sound like the lady in the office has strong written communication skills.