Reep's Tiny House Dilemma

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
J_

Re: Reep's Tiny House Dilemma

Post by J_ »

J_ wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:54 am
@riggerjack and I advised @reepicheep how to make a condensor to avoid moisture in house. I had a same issue in the stairs to the attic. I used these end of year days to build a simple condenser. I removed a little window and replaced it with an insulated panel and a 2 yards long metal pipe of one inch diameter on the outside of the panel. In the cool evening air in winter here it is about freezing temperature. Inside I reused a pc ventilator and a funnel to blow air through the outside "cooling" pipe. The dried air and the condensed water (gravity) come out at the underside of the panel. The ventilator is powered by a reuseable little power pack of 5 Ah 5 DC (LiPo). It last more than five nights before I have to upload the battery again. After the same five nights I have to empty the bottle which catches the condensed water. See:
Image Image Image Image

Clic on the photo to see the full picture
I hope too that this is useful for your RV or your future tiny house. I reposted this because I think it is better situated here.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@J_, Thanks so much, this is super cool. Looks very doable. You removed the entire window, like the glass is gone? Or you fit the panel in against the window?

Turns out, once I got leaky filter on the water pump fixed, everything else I'd already done was more than capable of dealing with the condensation. I periodically run the bathroom fan (with all the doors/windows closed) on "air exit" mode and between that, the dehumidifers, and a basically constant use of the space heater, I've not had many lingering problems. A little bit of condensation on the windows in the morning, and I had to move one dehumidifer into the space under the bed, but at least what I can see looks fine. I still have some trouble with moisture under the mattress, but a buddy is getting rid of a paneled wooden platform he was using underneath a bed and we're cutting it down to work for the space I have.

@Alphaville, I do actually own a custom-built murphy bed and was considering using it in the Tiny House. That could still be an option down the road if I decide I don't want to sleep in a loft anymore, though It might be difficult to move it through a TH front door (maybe not, as long as the door is a standard size). However, I went and visited a TH in Bend and hung out inside of it. They'd built floating stairs up to a loft and my dog just climbed right up, so I reconsidered the loft idea. Present plan is to build storage stairs to get some use out of that space. The house I visited had a neat little six inch platform built underneath the mattress, which lifted up on spring-loaded hinges to reveal several feet of storage space. I like that and will probably incorporate it with a paneled (instead of plywood) platform to increase airflow under the mattress. The guy who lives next to me in a TH he built himself has a lofted bed and, despite that and a woodstove, just built a platform to deal with moisture problems under his mattress.

Given the ongoing moisture battle, I am not sure if a shikibuton would be better or worse for my situation. I'm hoping to be able to build something that removes the need for lifting/propping up the mattress every day (which is what I am currently doing, with a full-sized regular mattress).

J_

Post by J_ »

Yes, I fit the panel against the window in the frame, so in spring when temperature rises, I put the window in again until next winter.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

reepicheep wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:15 pm

@Alphaville, I do actually own a custom-built murphy bed and was considering using it in the Tiny House. That could still be an option down the road if I decide I don't want to sleep in a loft anymore, though It might be difficult to move it through a TH front door (maybe not, as long as the door is a standard size). However, I went and visited a TH in Bend and hung out inside of it. They'd built floating stairs up to a loft and my dog just climbed right up, so I reconsidered the loft idea. Present plan is to build storage stairs to get some use out of that space. The house I visited had a neat little six inch platform built underneath the mattress, which lifted up on spring-loaded hinges to reveal several feet of storage space. I like that and will probably incorporate it with a paneled (instead of plywood) platform to increase airflow under the mattress. The guy who lives next to me in a TH he built himself has a lofted bed and, despite that and a woodstove, just built a platform to deal with moisture problems under his mattress.

Given the ongoing moisture battle, I am not sure if a shikibuton would be better or worse for my situation. I'm hoping to be able to build something that removes the need for lifting/propping up the mattress every day (which is what I am currently doing, with a full-sized regular mattress).
To my understanding, a shikibuton requires periodic hanging in the sunlight to keep it dry, like this:

Apparently a popular sight in Japan.

The good thing is that a shikibuton is not heavy and unwieldy like the typical American futon that goes into those frames people use in college. It’s a different sort of thing really.

But it sounds like a loft + platform would solve all of your problems with a bit of construction.

ETA: HOWEVER... maybe a shikibuton could solve your unwieldy mattress problem *right now*

this is fumio sasaki’s (finally found it)

can’t post the photo (too big) so here’s the article that features it (scroll down) https://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/ ... inimalism/
or...
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3 ... 840610.jpg

ETA,A: here you can see the thing at the bottom of the closet

Last edited by Alphaville on Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

[apparently i quoted myself instead of editing and now can’t find a delete post button]