a 3 minute tour of a house made of mud near missoula, montana

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
paul wheaton

a 3 minute tour of a house made of mud near missoula, montana

Post by paul wheaton »

Well, mud and logs. And a bit of straw bale. Most of the materials came off the land where it is built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRo7BTz1NmM

A house the sequesters tons of carbon. Zero paint, glue or cement. The heat from the summer heats the house through the winter.

Fish

Re: a 3 minute tour of a house made of mud near missoula, montana

Post by Fish »

It certainly looks a lot more visually appealing than expected based from your description :) I’m still very much a Wheaton Level 0-1 person that barely passes your eco-test in a mild climate, but think it’s very cool that people are doing this and setting examples for others to follow.

Seppia

Re: a 3 minute tour of a house made of mud near missoula, montana

Post by Seppia »

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

While I'm happy to report that DW and I pass your Eco 0 test both in absolute and relative terms*, we are city animals and in spite of that (or maybe because of that) we're fascinated by permaculture and everything lifestyle that seems to go along with it.
It certainly helps that during our 6 years stint living in the USA, the Colorado/Wyoming/Idaho/Montana/Utah area was by far our favorite, so videos like this make us both nostalgic :)

One quick question:
paul wheaton wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:52 pm
The heat from the summer heats the house through the winter.
How is this possible?

*we live in italy so that may skew the results, but we spend $600/y which is about half our peers. In italy, avg size of apartments is smaller (which may help reduce costs) but energy is usually a little more expensive vs the USA