Renting Out Property

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Nomad

Renting Out Property

Post by Nomad »

Does anyone rent out properties for income as part of their strategy?
How well has it worked and what have you learnt?

Jean

Re: Renting Out Property

Post by Jean »

It works well. Tenant is now a Friend. Renting below market rate was a great way to attract and choose a Nice tenant. The réduction in complaints and worry is worth the loss in income.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Thank you for your input, I'm thinking of doing maybe not immediately but in a while. I think you are right about below market rate, having a property that pays top dollar once-in-a-while pays less then one rented out constantly.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I have a rental house, in another city. I use a property management company. I rented out my house that I'd been living in when I had to move. It's a great way to build equity. I've been lucky; I had the same tenant for 6 years, which substantially reduced my turnover costs. Last year was an expensive year, because I had an insurance claim (new roof--had to meet deductible), and then pretty substantial costs to replace carpet and do some upgrades to be able to charge a higher rent to the new tenant. The good news is, US tax laws are pretty favorable to owners of rentals. The biggest thing I've learned being a landlord is not to try to make a killing on the rent--much better to have a long-term rental and forgo big increases in rent.