Get Paid $10,000 to Move to Tulsa or Vermont

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Gilberto de Piento

Get Paid $10,000 to Move to Tulsa or Vermont

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Move to Tulsa, OK or Vermont to work from home and get $10,000: https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2019/03/11 ... t-oklahoma. The catch is that they will only give you the money if you already have a job and stay for a year. It's kind of like offering tax breaks to big companies to relocate but it's happening one person at a time. It seems like a good experiment to me, time will tell if it produces any results.

Jason

Re: Get Paid $10,000 to Move to Tulsa or Vermont

Post by Jason »

I was going to move to Vermont but when I asked for more benefits all these locals started protesting and telling me I was going to ruin their neighborhood so I said fuck them, I'll just go try to see what I can pull out of Tulsa.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Tulsa: Can't make fun of Jesus
Vermont: Can't make fun of Bernie Sanders

I'll pass.

Jason

Post by Jason »

It is getting hard to find a place in the U.S. where people aren't overly zealous for a Jewish man who claims he can save the world

Gilberto de Piento

Topeka, Kansas just started a program that will pay you to move there and stay one year. You also have to hold a full time job. $10,000 for renters, $15,000 for home buyers.

Some of the really low expense people here could move there and live off the free money with some left over.

Looks like there is a lot of crime there though.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Boy I'd do Topeka or Tusla in a heartbeat for 10-15 grand. Not sure if it would be worth it given that I could just keep my CURRENT full-time job and make more money though. Need some remote work I guess.

DrakeFrst

Post by DrakeFrst »

I think that unless you already plan to move there for a new job or other opportunities it's not really worth it. Maybe that's just me though but 10k doesn't sound that appealing for so much trouble!

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

I'd rent there for a year, except they want you to have a FT job, screw that.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

You guys realize they want you to go there so they can tax you, right?

wheatstate

Post by wheatstate »

https://www.wibw.com/content/news/Choos ... 02531.html

Stephen Colbert picked up the Topeka bit and threw a joke about this program creating an intentional community, "because the only people there now, ran out of gas, while trying to get anywhere else."

The local Topeka group came up with the perfect response skit. Both videos are in the link. Lots of people live good, safe lives in Topeka. There are neighborhoods where being minimalist with less stuff to steal would be an advantage. There are also plenty of normal neighborhoods.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

Jason wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:26 am
It is getting hard to find a place in the U.S. where people aren't overly zealous for a Jewish man who claims he can save the world
except one actually did save the world....But thanks for trying to equate Bernie to Jesus.

C40

Post by C40 »

I find it interesting that folks keep posting these (the notices and articles about getting a small amount of money (or a free lot of land) if you move to some city that isn't so popular at the moment. Because... the money is a small amount.. and no-one here is pulling the trigger on any of those offers.

As for Tulsa... Yeah.. LOTS of churches. The summers are dreadfully hot and humid for those doing work outdoors all day. If you're inside a lot, it doesn't matter that much, and considering the whole year, the weather there is quite nice. I spent a summer in Oklahoma City and was surprised that I actually found plenty of women to sleep with and it seemed enough to make good friends there. When I asked someone what Tulsa is like, she more or less said "like OKC but more churches and more cowboyish"

I haven't been to Topeka yet but I was thinking about buying property there when I saw something that very specifically fit what I'd like. I think it was already sold by the time I noticed it and was thinking about going to look at it. I doubt there's much crime there, but given I haven't even been, IDK for sure.

tylerrr wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:37 pm
except one actually did save the world..
uhhhhh.. what?

Jason

Post by Jason »

Bernie supporters tend to be over-zealous.

Gilberto de Piento

C40 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 pm
I find it interesting that folks keep posting these (the notices and articles about getting a small amount of money (or a free lot of land) if you move to some city that isn't so popular at the moment.
As the OP, I just find it to be an interesting concept and something to talk about. I agree it isn't very attractive.

sid3

Post by sid3 »

As a Kansan about to graduate from college who would ideally like to live in NE KS, I will be applying to 'Choose Topeka'.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

C40 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 pm
I haven't been to Topeka yet but I was thinking about buying property there when I saw something that very specifically fit what I'd like. I think it was already sold by the time I noticed it and was thinking about going to look at it. I doubt there's much crime there, but given I haven't even been, IDK for sure.
South side of Topeka, by the airport where motel row is, has heavy prostitution with pimps doing the occasional murder. Or at least it did 15-25 years ago when I visited in '95, '96, '99, & 2006. Not much different than Interstate Ave in Portland.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Northwest Akransas is joining the fray. They are offering $10k plus a mountain bike to move there.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel ... nitiative?
Northwest Arkansas by offering them $10,000 to move there. They’re also throwing in a street or mountain bike with the deal, allowing new residents to easily explore the area’s 162 miles of paved trails and 322 miles of mountain biking trails. If biking is not your thing, you can opt for an annual membership to one of the local cultural institutions instead, like the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Northwest Arkansas is already rated as one of the best places to live in the U.S. thanks to its low cost of living, outdoor activities, world-class arts institutions, and a per-capita income that’s 14% higher than the national average. Now, it's ready to share those perks with more people, especially the nation’s top talent, as well as remote workers.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i’d take the money to go to vermont which is a beauty, but i don’t want a full time yob for someone else’s profit.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

New (?) site that aggregates all the places (states and towns) in the US that will pay for you to move/live there.

https://www.makemymove.com/

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

West Virgina will pay you $12k to move there. $10k the first year, $2k the second. Payment is monthly with no time commitment. You get to keep what's paid if you leave early. Also included is free outdoor gear rentals and activities like mountain biking and whitewater rafting for the first year.

https://ascendwv.com/the-offer/