Commune/Intentional Community

How to avoid signing your life over to a mortgage
Mister Imperceptible

Re: Commune/Intentional Community

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:13 am

Jason wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:22 am
Bringing his blog followers to the desert to sit at his feet. Couldn't keep his marriage together so let's just dream of something bigger. Plus what a stable of grad students he'll have.
Hahahahaha I thought the exact same thing.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:39 pm

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-t ... -their-30s

I'm sure most have seen this. I'm guessing its around the time of the divorce. I couldn't tell if it was a promo or a cry for help. He looks more defeated than Michael Cohen. And Christ, the shot of him drinking wine, staring vacantly at that milquetoast Boulder daytime jazz trio. It was like death on a patio. When he said he had enough saved for 45 more years, I thought he was going to break down sobbing.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:30 pm

“Milquetoast” hahahaha, utterly ruthless.

I agree, it was almost as if he was saying “only 55 more years to go” like it was not going to go by fast enough.

You’ve got to have something to strive for.

Salathor

Post by Salathor » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Jason wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:22 am
I personally do not believe that FIRE and all its tangential concerns could ever provide that moral and ethical purpose that which is required to keep people committed to such a venture.
Absolutely. FIRE is valid as lifestyle choice, but it certainly is not a moral compass, and it seems unlikely that any group of folks dedicated enough to pursue it would be similar enough to want to live together on the basis of FIRE alone.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:12 pm

MMM is essentially an extremely thrifty suburbanite, as are his adherents. Nothing wrong with that. I've benefited from reading him, as that is essentially the extent of my ERE. But I honestly don't see any organization he tries to create as anything more than a glorified bicycle club.

What JLF has created I could see as being more binding as it centers around both a highly contemplative and instructional book. Books are essential to organizing such entities (It is not a coincidence that Judaism/Christianity/Judaism are called the religions of the books). Anyone who says they don't like writing down what they believe in because it is dogmatic hasn't negated the fact that somewhere there is a dogma to their thinking and time will disclose what that dogma actually is. Based on the diversity of this board, I still see it as challenging. I mean, what you do, ask for loyalty oaths? For instance, if I slip out at night, and come back to the village and despite my very best efforts not to, start ripping farts that some highly sensitive olfactory motherfucker identifies as Big Mac induced, do I have to worry about everyone going Nathaniel Hawthorne on me?