Possible way to reduce heating/cooling

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
JamesR

Possible way to reduce heating/cooling

Post by JamesR »

Take a look at https://embrlabs.com/embr-wave/

I know people in here have discussed minimal heating/cooling in here, so maybe something like this Embr Wave band could potentially help regulate the body's perception of the temperature and make you feel more comfortable, and potentially help you save money.

The only downside is that it's currently $299. How long till it pays for itself? :P

slowtraveler

Re: Possible way to reduce heating/cooling

Post by slowtraveler »

At $300, it might take a while. I think an umbrella or jacket is more cost effective.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Also a jacket is far less likely to experience malfunction and can be repaired much easier by the owner. I have plenty of articles of clothing I have had for over a decade, yet precious few electronics that have.

J_

Post by J_ »

During this rather hot summer in Holland ( max 34 Celsius in our town near the coast) I have extra insulated my kitchen/dining roof on the outside in an expirimental way. The roof was already insulated (conform recent building-regulations Rc 3,5), and covered with copper sheets in strips, wide 85 cm. Each strip lays between copper cladded "rails" of 6 cm height. The roof is tilted at an angle of 7 degrees. I have glued high density polystyreen sheets of 3 cm on the copper-sheets between the "rails" and covered it with outdoor, uv resistent, "gras carpet", and glued that to the polystyreen plates. I have ballasted it further with some bricks. The heat permeability of the roof construction is so further reduced with a third. Rc value is now about 4,5. After the works were done I have noticed a much more even temperature inside the kitchen/diningroom. This extra insulation will also help in winter to reduce heating costs. Expenses: my own labour and costs about € 12 per m2, for 30 m2 it makes € 360. I guess it will work out to be a better investment to reduce heating/cooling than this gadget.

Astra

Post by Astra »

From the Website: How does it work? In simple terms, cooling with Embr Wave feels like putting an ice cube on your wrist. It's refreshing and helps take the edge off when you're feeling uncomfortably warm. Similarly, warming with Embr Wave feels like cupping your hands around a mug of hot coffee.
1. Hold an ice cube to your wrist
2. Cup your hands around a mug of hot coffee (bonus: you get to smell and drink hot coffee)
There, I just saved you $300 plus shipping.

fell-like-rain

Post by fell-like-rain »

Astra wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:15 am
2. Cup your hands around a mug of hot coffee (bonus: you get to smell and drink hot coffee)
But if you amortize the cost over the 5 times you'll use it before leaving it in a drawer to gather dust, it's only $60!

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Astra wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:15 am
Nice. Now we just need a mini-thermos to hold an ice cube or hot water, small enough to be worn on wrist or belt, and can just be manually used to cool/warm up the wrist.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

I saw this idea as an article on an MIT research project a few years ago.

For a DIY electric solution, if you only want heat you really just need anything that dissipates power at the right rate. For example, a phone being charged gets pretty warm and if you were to strap it to your wrist you would feel noticeably warmer. If you had a smartphone battery and a bit of electrical know-how, you could wire it up to what would essentially be some form of resistors that are the right size/power touching your wrist. Then keep them on using fingerless gloves.

For cooling you would want a Peltier cooler which can be bought for on the order of $20 but then you need to supply the power. It takes a DC voltage with a high amount of current, so the power supply would be the tricky part. USB might be able to power it decently - picture this without the "fridge" case, strapped to your wrist: https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Mini-USB ... 003L4Z57K/

Note that for heating it would be most efficient to insulate to keep the heat in, but cooling involves the other side getting hot in which case you want the other side to be air cooled. I think ideally you need different devices for heating vs. cooling.