Modern Icebox

How to avoid signing your life over to a mortgage
niemand

Re: Modern Icebox

Post by niemand »

OP, I know it’s not your climate, but here’s a tour of David Holmgren’s and Su Dennett’s property:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ss1BjW2kSNs

Have a look at 2:20 where they start talking about the kitchen and their “cool cupboard”.

(They also have an under the counter fridge, but given that Su usually caters for 12 people most days it’s quite amazing they can make do.)

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

So what did you go with?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Still undecided. I haven't moved in to my place yet so it hasn't been a high priority. At the moment, I am going back and forth between a ~4 cu ft fridge or a Yeti cooler with ice packs. The cooler has a higher upfront cost but it feels kind of silly to use energy/pay for cooling when it is -20 F outside as it is now. The 4 cu ft fridge would cost about $100 used whereas the cooler is $300 new and much harder to find used. I think if I was able to find that brand of cooler for a lower price I'd go with that but at the moment I see it as somewhat of a stalemate. If anyone has any thoughts, they would be more than welcome.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

energy usage of minifridge is minimal in dollars but i don’t know if you have powerline or solar or something else. probsbly $20/year, maybe less? so 10 years to amortize the price difference of cooler.

also when i had a cooler i spoiled some foods, so consider that cost also. plus the cost of blue ice packs. plus the need to constantly change icepacks. where do you keep/freeze the ice packs?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Yes, I have a solar setup. Nonetheless, it is a very small power draw and wouldn't affect my system a noticeable amount. The point about spoiled food is very good. That is probably the strongest argument against the cooler. I would keep the icepacks outside for ~7 months during winter. The rest of the year I would have to cool them in my chest freezer if I wanted to deal with that, or do without. Part of me is just attached to the idea of the cooler for simplicity and aesthetic purposes. However, it seems like the mini fridge is likely the best option.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

do you have a square wave or a sinus wave inverter?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Sine wave

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

great! sine wave runs everything smoothly

have fun this winter!

eta: would you ever supplement solar with windmill? belt+suspenders.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

thanks! No. A windy day here is when it's blowing like 3-5 mph. There is no wind.