Taking care of suburbia house in "prepper" way

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Stahlmann

Taking care of suburbia house in "prepper" way

Post by Stahlmann »

to deletion (first post only)
Last edited by Stahlmann on Mon May 14, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Taking care of suburbia house in "prepper" way

Post by jacob »

I'm not sure what the disclaimer was about, but here's a few steps you can do to harden up the house.

1) Fire extinguisher next to gas furnace; in the kitchen; and in each bedroom.
2) CO and fire alarms (radioactive and photon based, alternate). One on each floor + 1 in each bedroom.
3) Install a deadbolt. Replace screws in strike plate and door hinges with much longer ones (7+cm) that go into the door frame. Outer doors should be solid wood or steel (not hollow core). You could do this for all doors internally as well.
4) You can bar the windows. This also means it's hard to get out if there's a fire. Shutters are a less ugly/less effective alternative.
5) Get the chimney cleaned if necessary (soot fire).
6) Fence the property. Steel fence is the cheapest, easiest, and ugliest.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

I'm not sure what the disclaimer was about, but here's a few steps you can do to harden up the house. - Yep, I meant this. Let's go in this direction ;)

1) Fire extinguisher next to gas furnace; in the kitchen; and in each bedroom.
-> to do
2) CO and fire alarms (radioactive and photon based, alternate). One on each floor + 1 in each bedroom.
-> to do
3) Install a deadbolt. Replace screws in strike plate and door hinges with much longer ones (7+cm) that go into the door frame. Outer doors should be solid wood or steel (not hollow core). You could do this for all doors internally as well.
-> interesting need to ponder on this. I worry about entrance and verandah on +1 floor level. Big window here. Easy to break in and put something what will fire up. Wood panelling in this room.
4) You can bar the windows. This also means it's hard to get out if there's a fire. Shutters are a less ugly/less effective alternative.
-> on 0 level this is done.
-> practically everyelse we ahve this http://www.twojamarkiza.pl/images/top/r ... etrzne.jpg
They call it antitheft, but... It's more like it's possible to move them up from outside, but it makes a lot noise.
5) Get the chimney cleaned if necessary (soot fire).
-> this is done time to time
6) Fence the property. Steel fence is the cheapest, easiest, and ugliest.
-> done. I worry about the fact that somebody can enter through jumping on some constrution behind (our) concrete wall to our garden. This probably happened in the past.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Glass windows can be reinforced with security films, available on eBay. Ideally, you would want to pull the glass out, apply film, and reinstall the window, so film extends into frame. Not too spendy, not too easy, but it will do. Failing that, glass can be replaced with polycarbonate sheet, or you can put up polycarbonate sheet over the windows like a storm window.

Violence has never required two party consent, but preventative measures can make you a more difficult target. Best practices include preventative measures, and not making a target of yourself. Sometimes that means keeping your mouth shut. Or so I hear, never tried it myself...