Recommended Subreddits

Your favorite books and links
bryan

Recommended Subreddits

Post by bryan »

For the newbs, you can go to a given subreddit and click "top" and change the range of dates to sort for the most popular posts (similar story for comments in a given thread) to see if it appeals to you.

A bit heavy on entertainment (listed mostly first), but some handy resources in here as well:

RFS

Re: Recommended Subreddits

Post by RFS »

Bryan, thank you for a great list. I love the vandwelling and biketouring subreddits. The combination of competence and giving the middle finger to normalcy attracts all types of good people (imagine that!)

I have to recommend the Dumpster Diving subreddit. If any of you are on the fence, just look at the treasures to be had.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Reddit is cool but it can easily become a huge time suck for people who get a high from "information." It's one of those sites you can find yourself checking frequently or scrolling for hours. Like facebook, twitter, google news, instagram, etc. They are good at developing time consuming habits that are then hard to break.

blackbird

Post by blackbird »

This thread needs more /r/ATBGE

C40

Post by C40 »

ugh, I clicked on watchpeopledie and then wished I hadn't....

bryan

Post by bryan »

@C40, eventually you know your limits on what you can/want to watch. Besides that (you don't have to watch), the comments are good. It's also useful for breaking stories (it's basically one of the first places any source video will be re-posted if there are deaths involved.. e.g. UBER autonomous car fatality). Today there is video of a huge fire in a mall in Kemerovo, Russia (64-400 people dead, mostly children). Top comment is quite interesting.

@RFS, love the trash panda (mascot?) at /r/DumpsterDiving!

@blackbird, didn't know about /r/ATBGE. Looks hilarious.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Yeah, I can't do watchpeopledie either. I've watched 11foot8 though, so I'm obviously into really boring stuff. :lol:

What's the subreddit that had that great long thread where people admitted to doing some really bad stuff? It was a few years ago. I was into that for a while.

bryan

Post by bryan »

@jennypenny, I think those sorts of threads are /r/AskReddit. Usually niche tips or drive-by stories from the crowd.

SmartMoves

Post by SmartMoves »

r/documentaries can turn up some interesting stuff although it can be a bit hard hitting at times

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

C40 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:51 pm
ugh, I clicked on watchpeopledie and then wished I hadn't....
what was C40 expecting? it's in the title.