Book Club 2.0

Your favorite books and links
jennypenny

Book Club 2.0

Post by jennypenny »

Any interest in restarting the book club? Maybe this go-round we could focus on something different. Does anyone have any suggestions? Given the current trend on the forum, would anyone be interested in reading something like Fleming's Lean Logic, Martenson's Prosper, Randers' 2052, or something similar? I've actually never read CHS's Survival+ and would be willing to do that one, too. Or we could leave it open-ended like last time. I'm up for anything. (If we don't have enough takers, that's fine. I realize I'm more of a book nerd than most people.)

I'm packing up a box of books for theanimal, so if we could decide in the next day or two I could include a copy for him.

daylen

Re: Book Club 2.0

Post by daylen »

I'm willing to discuss any of those. I've read Lead Logic and Survival+, but I would like to look into them in more detail.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I'm in.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I'll join. I"ve read "Survival +: The Primer.", but not the longer version. Some other possibilities from my pile:

1)"Energy and Civilization: A History"- Smil
2) "Flourishing: A Frank Conversation About Sustainability." -Ehrenfeld and Hoffman
3) "Learning to Die in the Anthropocene"- Scranton
4) "The Knowledge"-Dartnell
5) "The Ecotechnic Future"- Greer

daylen

Post by daylen »

I would be happy to discuss his book. I haven't read it yet, and it would be a good opportunity for us to scrutinize his ideology until it breaks. Everyone is at least a little delusional.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

maybe

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I will read if I can get hold of free copy.

pukingRainbows

Post by pukingRainbows »

I'm interested.
I think it was already mentioned and removed for some reason but how about Jordan Peterson's book, 12 Rules for Life, An Antidote to Chaos?
I'm reading it now and definitely curious to hear other people's thoughts and ideas about it.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

+1 for Peterson, also reading it just now.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

I'm in and would much prefer Survial + or Lean Logic to Peterson.

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

I'm in and I'm fine with all of them (though Lean Logic might take a while to digest fully)

LoriMeyers

Post by LoriMeyers »

I'm in, whatever the choice.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

I'm in too, I was wondering when it would get going again JP :P

I have never considered myself well-read but it seem's I have read most of the suggestions so far! I like where this thread is going, there should be some great recommendations for future reading! Happy to start off with a re-read of Survival+ too because I read it so long ago, I think it was the next book I read after ERE, just before Overshoot, those 3 books flipped my world view upside down.

I love Lean Logic also, but agree, it's going to be problematic, it's more of a reference book, however for anyone that has a copy, we could pick one or two of the suggested breadcrumb trails at the beginning of the book and see where that takes us? IMO, the book deserves it's own thread, maybe I'll start one soon. 8-)

Might I suggest some anit-civ literature too, I'm waiting on my copy but 'Against Civilization Readings & Reflections' by John Zerzan looks promising.

There's also the Dark Mountain project (many volumes, still working my way through them), Walking on Lava is a collection of the best works of the first 10 or so volumes.

I'm part way through, but I've also really enjoyed Paul Kingsnorth's 'Confessions of a Recovering Environmentalist'. I've had to put most of this aside to read a few baby books in preparation of our son's arrival, it would be nice to get back into some real books :lol: !

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

jp is out (why the initial post with the Peterson suggestion was deleted), so someone else has to take the lead and decide which book.

First one to call it gets to decide.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

This feels like a great responsibility... :shock:

Survival+

daylen

Post by daylen »

I was already half way through 12 rules for life, ha. Survival+ will definitely be interesting to discuss.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Anything from jacob's listing from blog post, especially books on system theory (Yep, I'm aware that the depth can't be concentrated), investing.

Survival+ seems good choice also.

I'll rather treat the outcome (your posts) as executive summaries (yep, I know they're more about packing knowledge into small bits and in the previous editions of the book club the scope of your stories was a bit different and probably no technical textbooks).

So let's start :lol:

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Considering a few of us have already started on 12 Rules for Life wouldn't it be better to do that now and Survival + next?

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »