I’m 42 and I want to retire

Your favorite books and links
Did

I’m 42 and I want to retire

Post by Did »

IT MIGHT be financially impossible but I’m ready to retire. And so are all my friends. I’d be quite happy hanging around doing pottery.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/car ... b1c3f8f89c

wolf

Re: I’m 42 and I want to retire

Post by wolf »

I don't understand this article. I am not used to those Australian words. Is this about someone who wants to retired or retired or someone having a midlife crisis? The story sounds frustrating. I want to be FI(RE) when I am 42yo and I hope won't end up like that person. Can you describe, what is going on there?

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

@DID I was intrigued by your description as I read that they have retired to do 'pottery' (I have retired into a different craft) but its actually they have stopped working hard and are now 'pottering'.

@MDFIRE2024 The person writing is not retired and cannot see how they ever will be retired. Because they have worked hard 25 years at a demanding job they wish to start taking things easy right now. Pottering rather than pushing forward in their job. Claiming this as a movement or trend (perhaps because they can then write about it as they are in the writing business? I wished he was writing about pottery.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

He's apathetic. He used to be a hard worker, so it seems like he was engaged in his work for a long time, but now he must have worked himself up to a low skill position relative to his high skill set. This is like my older colleagues who miss doing engineering and lab work, but now just manage projects, manage engineers (who don't want or need much management), and manage customers' expectations. Not so interesting compared to solving problems when you don't quite know what you're doing - challenging and scary but full of learning opportunities.

Most likely, retiring to hang out with friends and play with pottery won't solve his apathy. He would be better off finding opportunities at work to increase the challenge level to match his skill level, or switching to a different type of job starting at a lower skill level with room for growth. Like most people, he doesn't seem like the type that would figure out how to be satisfied being unemployed long-term.