Grounded: Indigenous Knowing in a Concrete Reality

Your favorite books and links
Hégé

Grounded: Indigenous Knowing in a Concrete Reality

Post by Hégé »

I got really interested these couple of days in the "Art of memory". I first got introduced to it by seeing an article on how easy it was to remember a deck of cards in a couple of minutes with the "Method of Loci". I tried and got hooked.
It was really interesting to that that the Memory Champions were using that technique.

Lynne Kelly wrote a book called "The Memory Code" where she talks about how indigenous people were able to remember so much information.

In her blog, she talks about the different experiments she's doing memorizing history, birds, plants, genealogies, countries, news by mimicking old memory techniques. http://www.lynnekelly.com.au/memory-experiments/

Here's a free academic essay she wrote:
https://roundedglobe.com/books/86f326a9 ... 20Reality/

I hope it will interest some people,
Now everyone can remember his checking and saving account by heart :D

pukingRainbows

Re: Grounded: Indigenous Knowing in a Concrete Reality

Post by pukingRainbows »

I definitely find this interesting.
Have you read the book? Is it worthwhile as a way to learn some of the techniques?
I'm interested in an effective way to memorize anatomy structures. She mentions something like this briefly in the blog link but more detail is definitely needed for me to understand the process.

In general, I think it's interesting how this training might affect your mind and thought process in general.

Hégé

Post by Hégé »

pukingRainbows wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:07 pm
I definitely find this interesting.
Have you read the book? Is it worthwhile as a way to learn some of the techniques?
I'm interested in an effective way to memorize anatomy structures. She mentions something like this briefly in the blog link but more detail is definitely needed for me to understand the process.

In general, I think it's interesting how this training might affect your mind and thought process in general.
I have read her paper. You will understand why It works and what they were using to gain knowledge. But she's not going to explain how to do it. I think it is because it's difficult to explain. I have started the book, It has more information, but the instructions on how to do it is quite abstract.

I'm experimenting on different ways to remember from what I learn from her blog and book. I'm am doing the "Countries of the world challenge" and it works very well. It's addictive to see how much information you can put in a space. And it's fun. Really fun.

Once I have enough practice, I hope I will be able to understand intuitively how the more sophisticated and obscure technique work.

If you want to start and see the potential of it, I suggest you to try to remember a deck of card using the "Method of Loci", or a big shopping list. I first learned with this article: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/06/0 ... -of-cards/
But there's also a lot of information about this here: https://artofmemory.com/
(after a 2 weeks, I can do it in 4 minutes)

For anatomy, I think her advice of dances and songs + a memory board is good. You try to come up with as many songs as you need to describe the whole anatomy, then you draw the songs on a board with your own little signs and you practice the "ritual" once in a while to keep the information alive. Try it! :D

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

Thanks for posting this, this is really cool. I've read a bunch of Ars Memorativa stuff in occult literature (it was very popular in the renaissance) over the years, and most books do tend toward the abstract, with some exceptions, but I've never read a native american perspective. Look forward to reading the book.