Chop Wood Carry Water: How to Fall in Love with the Process of Becoming Great by Joshua Medcalf

Your favorite books and links
wolf

Chop Wood Carry Water: How to Fall in Love with the Process of Becoming Great by Joshua Medcalf

Post by wolf »

I have read the following book during the last week and I am absolutely fascinated by it.

As I stated in my recent Journal-post I'm trying to use this principle and way to live in order to focus more on the journey to FIRE/ERE rather on the destination/goal itself.

I can recommend this book to everyone who thinks is obsessed with the FI/RE-goal and doesn't enjoy the journey much.

The book tells a story about a man who wants to be a Samurai Archer. While he learns archery, he chops wood and carry water every single day. His sensai tells him great wisdom. The story therefore is more philosophical, but very practical. It is not about FIRE or ERE, but it is more about the process-orientied method becoming a master in a specific field.

PracticalPete

Re: Chop Wood Carry Water: How to Fall in Love with the Process of Becoming Great by Joshua Medcalf

Post by PracticalPete »

Thanks for sharing this book recommendation. I have read the book myself a couple of weeks ago and was fascinated too. It helped me to enjoy the moment instead of looking at a desirable tomorrow only.

I also found a video that condensed the principles around which the book is build quite well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyZ-mAweZxM

Seppia

Re: Chop Wood Carry Water: How to Fall in Love with the Process of Becoming Great by Joshua Medcalf

Post by Seppia »

interesting, thanks for sharing wolf, I'll definitely look for it.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

There are some interesting reviews for it on Goodreads, I'm not sure I'll bother:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/284 ... arry-water