BC#11 - Vagabonding by Rolf Potts

Your favorite books and links
5to9

BC#11 - Vagabonding by Rolf Potts

Post by 5to9 »

Vagabonding – by Rolf Potts

I enjoyed this book much more than I expected to. I had heard about this several times over the past few years, but always wrote it off. I have a wife with a job she loves, and two young boys who very much enjoy living near our extended family, so dropping it all and travelling the world is something that doesn’t really appeal to me. I finally decided to read the book after hearing the author on the Tim Ferriss podcast. It struck me from the interview that the author was talking about something much deeper than world travel, and I thought might have some real alignment with ERE.

This impression was borne out by the book. In fact, if you replaced every instance of “Vagabonding” with “ERE”, you might not even gather that the book is encouraging world travel. This one quote summed up for me what I got out of the book:
Vagabonding is about using the prosperity and possibility of the information age to increase your personal options instead of your personal possessions.
There are lots of great nuggets like this (I’ll save the exhaustive list of my favorite for the end of the post). The core of the book is an analysis of the expensive, 9 to 5 till 65 lifestyle. The author uses extended slow travel as his alternative to the typical rat race, but there’s nothing to indicate it’s the only alternative. In fact, there are many places where he seems to indicate that mindset is way more important than the actual act of long term travel:
Vagabonding is about not merely reallotting a portion of your life for travel but rediscovering the entire concept of time. At home, you’re conditioned to get to the point and get things done, to favor goals and efficiency over moment-by-moment distinction. On the road, you learn to improvise your days, take a second look at everything you see, and not obsess over your schedule.
So the real enemy is the close minded, rigid mindset that is so easy to fall into in everyday life. Travel could potentially be a way to help break this mindset, but if you can’t get there in your day to day, what have you really gained? I’m not disputing that it could be interesting to travel this way, and maybe if my wife gets a sabbatical, we’ll try it, but until then, I think there are a lot of philosophical bits, that could really be applied today. I also added a few things to my reading list based on the quality of some excerpts, in particular “Pilgrim at Tinker Creek”.

I’ll close with my list of favorite quotes. For reference, there is another thread that discussed this book, which mentions several other great quotes. I will start with one that I think we could all try today, right out our own front door:
Walk until your day becomes interesting—even if this means wandering out of town and strolling the countryside. Eventually you’ll see a scene or meet a person that makes your walk worthwhile.
Instead—out of our insane duty to fear, fashion, and monthly payments on things we don’t really need—we quarantine our travels to short, frenzied bursts. In this way, as we throw our wealth at an abstract notion called “lifestyle,” travel becomes just another accessory—a smooth-edged, encapsulated experience that we purchase the same way we buy clothing and furniture.
Ultimately, this shotgun wedding of time and money has a way of keeping us in a holding pattern. The more we associate experience with cash value, the more we think that money is what we need to live. And the more we associate money with life, the more we convince ourselves that we’re too poor to buy our freedom.
Vagabonding is not a social gesture, nor is it a moral high ground. It’s not a seamless twelve-step program of travel correctness or a political statement that demands the reinvention of society. Rather, it’s a personal act that demands only the realignment of self.
Ultimately, then, the first step of vagabonding is simply a matter of making work serve your interests, instead of the other way around. Believe it or not, this is a radical departure from how most people view work and leisure.
At times, the biggest challenge in embracing simplicity will be the vague feeling of isolation that comes with it, since private sacrifice doesn’t garner much attention in the frenetic world of mass culture.
Fortunately, finding a singular travel experience doesn’t require heroism so much as a simple change of mind-set. The reason so many travelers become frustrated while visiting world-famous destinations is that they are still playing by the rules of home, which “reward” you for following set routines and protocols. Thus, on the road, you should never forget that you are uniquely in control of your own agenda. If the line for Lenin’s tomb outside the Kremlin is too long, you have the right to buy a couple bottles of beer, plant yourself at the edge of Red Square, and happily watch the rest of Moscow swirl around you.
The key in all of this is to trust chance, and to steer it in such a way that you’re always learning from it.
Interestingly, one of the initial impediments to open-mindedness is not ignorance but ideology. This is especially true in America, where (particularly in “progressive” circles) we have politicized open-mindedness to the point that it isn’t so open-minded anymore. Indeed, regardless of whether your sympathies lean to the left or the right, you aren’t going to learn anything new if you continually use politics as a lens through which to view the world.
Moreover, spirituality is an ongoing process that deepens with the seasons—and those who travel the world hoping to get “blinded by the light” are often blind to the light that’s all around them.
We’ve stifled our curiosity because it’s time-consuming (and time is money).
Integrate the deliberate pace and fresh perspective that made your travel experience so vivid, and allow for unstructured time in your day-to-day home schedule.

5to9

Re: BC#11 - Vagabonding by Rolf Potts

Post by 5to9 »

Side note: apologies for the delay in getting this out. I need to ERE already so this job stops consuming all my time :)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'd never gotten around to reading this either. I can see if I'd read it when I was younger or before ERE that I would have thought it was amazing. I agree with 5to9 that it's promoting a certain flavor of ERE. It's probably a good book to give someone along with ERE to help convey the concept.

Before I make what sounds like a criticism, I want to say I'm a big believer in travel. It's important to me and I've benefited from it. I personally found it helpful to get away from my home and family to get a better sense of who I am. It's also embarrassing to admit, but I became more of an environmentalist after traveling to less-manicured natural settings.

Traveling solo can also teach a person resourcefulness and build confidence. Sadly, it's easier for men than women in many places. Potts does mention that, although his naive suggestion that women somehow benefit from experiencing gender discrimination first-hand (like conservative dress codes and social separation from men in the Middle East) made me grind my teeth a little.

I'm not sure vagabonding is as soul-enriching as Potts claims. Well, I should clarify that I don't think the travel part is the key factor in the personal growth that he, and others, experience after extended travel. Tying it back to ERE, many people seem at a loss with what to do with themselves post-ERE. I think Potts' style of travel is a ready-made answer to that question of what to do. It gives the person some freedom and a direction, yet within the confines of an established vocation. It lets the person live the adventurous and boundless life they crave while still providing an easy answer to the ubiquitous cocktail party question "What do you do?"

I'm not knocking it, and I don't mean that everyone who travels does it for that reason. What Ego is doing is very different. He lives to challenge himself and deliberately make himself uncomfortable, and travel is only one way that he does that. What I mean is that travel can provide the basis for the next chapter in a person's story when they aren't sure what it should be. (In some ways, that reminds me of Kahneman's thoughts on remembering selves and the stories we tell ourselves.)

Maybe it's simply that Potts' vagabonding is a good way to bridge two stories, or chapters, in a person's life. Extended travel might be a fun and constructive way to fill the 'space between stories' that Eisenstein talks about.

Thanks. That was a fun read, although I found myself dreaming about living out of my van again after I finished it. ;)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I also want to say Vagabonding was worth reading just for the Walt Whitman quotes. I love Whitman. Emerson and Thoreau get mentioned here frequently and I like them, but I think Whitman gets overlooked. After the Bible, I think I reach for his works most often when I want to feel grounded. "I know I am August" is my personal mantra.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I enjoyed reading this book, mostly due to the author’s enthusiasm. I found it refreshing and child-like in some ways. I also liked a lot of the quotes and found other books I wanted to read from it – I am actually currently reading “A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek”.

I have traveled a lot for work, and to some pretty strange places like rural Romania and Uzbekistan, where I was sometimes one of the few Americans that the people there had ever met. I found a lot of what Potts had to say, particularly about listening to the people and the culture, was very true.

On the other hand, I have no desire to do any more extensive travelling, especially on my own. One of the best things for me while reading this book is that I had a definitive realization that any travelling for fun I would want to do would be with a companion, probably either DW or one of our boys or some combination thereof. But DW don’t play those strange backpacking adventures with questionable (or no) bathrooms.

As Potts concluded at the end, you don’t need to travel very far to vagabond in the sense that he was writing about. You can vagabond in your own locality if you are willing to go places you haven't been yet.

Some of my favorite quotes and passages – lots of “nuggets of wisdom” -- from the book with my own topical headlines:

On how to use and appreciate new information:

“Bruce Lee said: “Research your own experiences for the truth.… Absorb what is useful.… Add what is specifically your own.… The creating individual is more than any style or system.””

On the slavery of materialism:

“This notion— the notion that “riches” don’t necessarily make you wealthy— is as old as society itself. The ancient Hindu Upanishads refer disdainfully to “that chain of possessions wherewith men bind themselves, and beneath which they sink”; ancient Hebrew scriptures declare that “whoever loves money never has money enough.” Jesus noted that it’s pointless for a man to “gain the whole world, yet lose his very self,” and the Buddha whimsically pointed out that seeking happiness in one’s material desires is as absurd as “suffering because a banana tree will not bear mangoes.” “

On setting your own path:

“It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after your own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. —RALPH WALDO EMERSON, “SELF-RELIANCE” “

On the frivolity of the news:

“However , a lot of media information— especially day-to-day news— should be approached with a healthy amount of skepticism . This is because so many media outlets (especially television and magazines) are more in the business of competing for your attention than giving you a balanced picture of the world. Real people and places become objectified— made unreal—as the news media dotes on wars, disasters, elections, celebrities, and sporting events.”

On advice for how to pick a friend – or a spouse:

“Make certain that you share similar goals and ideas about how you want to travel. If your idea of a constructive afternoon in Cambodia is, say, identifying flora on the jungle floor, you probably shouldn’t pick a partner who’d prefer a seedy bar and a half dozen hookers. If possible, go on short road trips with your potential partner before you go vagabonding together; it’s amazing what you can learn about your compatibility in just a couple of days. Avoid compulsive whiners, chronic pessimists, mindless bleeding hearts, and self-conscious hipsters, since these kinds of people (who are surprisingly common along the travel trail) have a way of turning travel into a tiresome farce. Instead, find a partner who exudes an attitude of realism and open-mindedness (see chapter 8 ); these are the virtues you yourself will want to cultivate.”

On the way to approach unfamiliar cultures and potentially difficult situations:

“The ability to laugh at yourself and take things in stride can thus be the key to enduring strange new cultural situations. And while humor might seem like a fairly contemporary way to deal with unfamiliar environments, it’s actually a time-honored travel strategy.”

On achieving balance when with new people or in a new place:

“In his travels, Ledyard made it a point to mingle with native cultures, not so he could romanticize them, but so he could understand how they perceived reality. In Return Passages, critic Larzer Ziff describes a special quality of social tolerance and endurance in Ledyard— a trait that all vagabonders might do well to emulate: “He seemed the perfect democrat, at ease with those who were regarded as his betters, yet free of presumption, self-assured and not self-important; possessed of an urbanity acquired more from contact with the gentlemen of the primitive world than those of the city, and, most importantly, able to accept rebuffs— to undergo in order to go.” “

On the modern vanity of Western cultures and uselessness of politics as a lens:

“. . . I once met a Canadian woman who’d just traveled to a remote Syrian Catholic monastery in the gorgeous desert mountains outside of Damascus. Not only had she enjoyed her three-day visit, she told me, but she’d also managed to hold on to her “freethinking principles” by steadfastly refusing the monks’ offers to join the daily church service. Somehow, this attitude struck me as a bit skewed . In the conformist confines of small-town Alberta, refusing to go to church might be a sign of liberation, but as the guest of an isolated Syrian monastery (one that you’ve taken great pains to visit, no less), refusing to go to church is not merely narrow-minded but rude. It’s important to remember that what passes for cultural open-mindedness at home won’t always apply wholesale to your travels. Indeed, you might live in Chinatown, dance to Fela Kuti tunes, wear a sarong, practice the didgeridoo, date an Estonian-American, and eat enchiladas in New York— but that doesn’t necessarily mean you know squat about how the people of China, Nigeria, Thailand, Australia, Estonia, or Mexico live and think.
Interestingly, one of the initial impediments to open-mindedness is not ignorance but ideology. This is especially true in America, where (particularly in “progressive” circles) we have politicized open-mindedness to the point that it isn’t so open-minded anymore. Indeed, regardless of whether your sympathies lean to the left or the right, you aren’t going to learn anything new if you continually use politics as a lens through which to view the world. At home, political convictions are a tool for getting things done within your community; on the road, political convictions are a clumsy set of experiential blinders, compelling you to seek evidence for conclusions you’ve already drawn.”

On vagabonding without traveling – and how to live life generally:

“Don’t let the vices you conquered on the road— fear, selfishness, vanity, prejudice, envy— creep back into your daily life. Explore your hometown as if it were a foreign land, and take an interest in your neighbors as if they were exotic tribesmen. Keep things real, and keep on learning. Be creative, and get into adventures. Earn your freedom all over again and don’t set limits. Keep things simple, and let your spirit grow. But most of all, keep living your life in such a way that allows your dreams room to breathe.”

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Oh, and thanks for suggesting this -- I would not have read it otherwise and was glad I did.

Ego

Post by Ego »

This came out a few months after we returned home from three years abroad. I remember reading it and being amazed that he had written what I was feeling but had not yet translated to thought. I recommend it to everyone I meet who expresses an interest in longterm travel.

Rolf Potts is just three years younger than me so I suspect we have a very similar generational perspective. I wonder how well that translates to younger generations. One of his central themes - that you must earn your own travel funds to get the full E-ticket experience - is something that does not seem to go over well with those non-ERE types I am meeting now in backpacker hostels who were born in the nineties.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Ego wrote:This came out a few months after we returned home from three years abroad. I remember reading it and being amazed that he had written what I was feeling but had not yet translated to thought. I recommend it to everyone I meet who expresses an interest in longterm travel.
Really? I liked the book, but I feel like I must be missing something. Maybe it has more appeal for guys? or maybe it's because he emphasizes meeting new people and that's the part of traveling (and life) that makes me uncomfortable?

Hmm, I think I need to read it again.

henrik

Post by henrik »

I need to read it again as well. I did and I enjoyed it, but now as I see Dragline's quotes it seems I didn't pay enough attention!

Ego

Post by Ego »

@jp, As someone said above, his message goes hand and glove with ere. We talk about it here all the time so it doesn't seem unique. In 2003 it was rare...or at least it was rare for me to encounter others who thought like us.

Slightly off-topic... but as I paged through the ebook of vagabonding again I did so having just read the section of Sapiens where the author suggests - as Jacob does - that our desire to travel and have novel experiences is purely a result of cultural programming. Hum. It was a convincing argument. For now, I like this program, but I think I'm beginning to see their point.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I read this one a couple years ago. Loved the quotes that were dispersed throughout. One of the things that stuck with me was the quote about walking.

"Walk until your day becomes interesting—even if this means wandering out of town and strolling the countryside. Eventually you’ll see a scene or meet a person that makes your walk worthwhile."

I've found the level of interaction and the amount you see is directly inverse to the speed of travel (or maybe just the mode of transportation). In a car or plane, you are sealed off from the outer world and you miss some of the finer details. On a nice walk (or even a bike) you see the small creek, the leaves flying through the air, hear the sounds of the birds, able to interact with others etc. I've certainly learned a lot about the places I've visited by just walking around. Even my own neighborhood. You can learn a lot about a small city or town just by walking around for a couple days.

Another part I like is how it opens you up to others (maybe only if you're traveling alone though). When I'm walking around an area with just a backpack, many people genuinely want to talk to me. Hell, often they even want to give me money! :lol:

A good complementary book to this one would be the classic The Gentle Art of Tramping by Stephen Graham, written in the 1920s.

Some ERE friendly quotes:
"The less you carry the more you will see, the less you spend the more you will experience."

"In tramping you are not earning a living, but earning a happiness."

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@Ego -- I had the same thought. I highlighted that passage in Sapiens ...

Romanticism tells us that in order to make the most of our human potential we must have as many different experiences as we can. We must open ourselves to a wide spectrum of emotions; we must sample various kinds of relationships; we must try different cuisines; we must learn to appreciate different styles of music. One of the best ways to do all that is to break free from our daily routine, leave behind our familiar setting, and go travelling in distant lands, where we can 'experience' the culture, the smells, the tastes and the norms of other people. We hear again and again the romantic myths about 'how a new experience opened my eyes and changed by life'.
Romanticism, which encourages variety, meshes perfectly with consumerism. Their marriage has given birth to the infinite 'market of experiences', on which the modern tourism industry is founded. The tourism industry does not sell flight tickets and hotel bedrooms. It sells experiences. Paris is not a city, nor India a country -- they are both experiences, the consumption of which is supposed to widen our horizons, fulfill our human potential, and make us happier.

There is a lot of ground between Harari's viewpoint and Potts's viewpoint. I think the individual, and their motivations, matter in how the experience is judged.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Ego - That was probably this post ...

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/trave ... th-it.html

... which caused some butthurt reactions. I've somewhat moderated my stance on travel in recent years.

First, I think I/we need to distinguish travel and tourism. (Of course many self-styled travellers would then have to admit that they are really tourists.) My critique is mainly on tourism. Tourism is mainly a pursuit of either consumerist status or some hedonistic search for exotic sensory perception. It's the consumption of experiences. There's little personal development in tourism just like there's little personal development in foodism. No judging in either case. I just see tourism and foodism to be more similar than different.

Second, having realized how rare actual travel is and how big an impact in perspective such travel generate, I heartily endorse it. I define travel as making a big change usually going somewhere in order to do something valuable---tourism has none of that and if it does it's a value-subtracting process... paying people to be allowed to experience (e.g. zipline, guided tour, language course) ... not contributing any value.

Also see,
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/trave ... broad.html

A defining distinction is perhaps that with
* tourism, the experiences are pre-made and made available for consumption for a fee (just get on a plane, arrive, pay and receive that experience)
* travel, the experience does not exist until work has been performed to add value; this process and the changes it causes comprised the experience --- travel is thus no longer a sufficient condition but a required condition because only being able to access local opportunities [in the backyard] is very limiting.

Sere

Post by Sere »

I am horrified to realise how long it's been since I last logged in to the ERE forum, but so happy to see this book being discussed. (As an aside, a large part of the reason I have been offline had to do with the fact that DH and I were trying out an ERE-life overseas). I've read the first couple of chapters of Vagabonding in a Kindle preview, and am about to order a copy.
Regarding Jacob's point about tourism vs. travel, I agree that such distinctions are important. I recently read The Authenticity Hoax which pointed out that most so-called "authentic" cultural experiences are designed solely for the tourist, and actual members of the local community never partake in many such experiences except for tourism purposes. This can hardly be called "authentic" if one takes a statistical view, or even from a more qualitative analysis of the intent of the performance.
I feel like there should be yet another term though... what do we call the person who leaves their home town/state/country and yet insists on trying to replicate it as much as possible when they get to their destination? e.g. when I went on a student exchange, some of my classmates refused to eat any local food, and insisted on having their hosts take them to McDonalds for each meal. Or the people who use discrepancies in exchange rates to simply live a far more luxurious lifestyle than they would have at home? e.g. twice daily massages, multiple lobsters for lunch, limousine taxis, hiring people to do everything for them, going on shopping sprees, etc, but never leaving the safety bubble of the resort complex. I wouldn't class that as even "tourism" - at least the tourist is attempting to gain some sort of new experience and engage with new people, even if they are going about it in a commercialised fashion. (I also think that "tourism" can be a good gateway to "travel", which can in turn be an excellent gateway to reassessing what are "needs" and "wants" etc. for those who haven't thought much on the subject before...)
Looking forward to reading more :D

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Sere - That third category is called geoarbitrage.

Sere

Post by Sere »

@Jacob, I suppose you're right... Although I tend to reserve the term "geoarbitrage" to refer to a more sensible allocation of resources - living overseas on a smaller amount of money than is possible at home, rather than living overseas on the same amount of money as at home, but with greater luxury. I also see this third category as more of a short-term "holiday" than a long-term lifestyle among most people. But I'm splitting hairs. There's a continuum of travel :D

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

jacob wrote:There's little personal development in tourism just like there's little personal development in foodism. No judging in either case. I just see tourism and foodism to be more similar than different.
So I think I have an idea what you mean by "foodism", but I was wondering if you'd mind going into a little more detail (or if you already have somewhere, posting a link, but I didn't turn up anything with a Google site search).

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@luxagraf - I think foodism became popular after I stopped blogging, so I don't have anything ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodie
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Foodie

It's simply a person who is really interested in consuming food that's prepared with particular ingredients or in a particular way; the more exclusive or ironically exclusive (e.g. "street food"), the better. This interest is constrained to what can be quickly experienced. Some foodies probably take it further by learning how to cook themselves ... but I haven't met any such foodies yet.

Tourism is the same in that a tourist is a person who is really interested in consuming a particular sight or experience (zipline, dolphin swimming, helicopter trip) that are typically exclusive (it's in a foreign country ... so e.g. cycling in a foreign country is awesome ... cycling on the street where you live is unworthy of notice); again with little or no personal effort added other than showing up with money in hand.

Anyone can eat something. Anyone can watch something.

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

jacob wrote: It's simply a person who is really interested in consuming food that's prepared with particular ingredients or in a particular way; the more exclusive or ironically exclusive (e.g. "street food"), the better. This interest is constrained to what can be quickly experienced. Some foodies probably take it further by learning how to cook themselves ... but I haven't met any such foodies yet.
As a former chef I've always been slightly puzzled why people who don't cook get so into food. I mean I like a fancy meal every now and then, but places like Alinea are incredible successes, which still surprises me. As a former chef I would totally love to go there, but I can't imagine not knowing how to cook and finding food like that interesting (or any of the molecular gastronomy stuff, which also seems to be popular). At least travel-related commodified experiences tend to have some level of physical thrill to them, ie. zip line, skydiving, volcano snowboarding, etc. Food is extra strange to me because it's fetishizing something that's otherwise a pure survival activity. But then I worked in a high end restaurant and walked home at two in the morning on Friday nights to microwave up a bean burrito, so maybe that's just me.

Sere

Post by Sere »

:D My copy of Vagabonding has arrived! (We've had customs delays here...)
A few chapters in now, will post more later.
In the meantime though, I agree with the @luxagraf and @jacob 's comments on eating, watching, etc. I wonder if there are parallels between reading and listening to music vs. writing and playing music. While I enjoy these more 'passive' activities too (and there are certainly more/less active ways to engage with culture) I don't want to define my life by the production of others...