jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Lumbersexuals and capitalism

Post by jacob »

WYOGO

Re: Lumbersexuals and capitalism

Post by WYOGO »

While it is certainly true that I have a few choice pieces of Patagonia gear, some purchased second hand, they are not owned for purpose of fashion, are worn only for the appropriate application, and good grief most certainly not patterned in anyway.

I left the North Face camp long ago due to quality issues and loss of specialization, but I have remained intrigued with Patagonia for some time now, especially their commitment to preservation and restoration efforts in South America. More times than I can recall have I pondered this odd tension between what must and should be.

I appreciate that they are committed to repair, recycle and replacement of gear as appropriate and quality gear should rarely need replacement. The last resort from their perspective is to purchase new.

The reality still is, despite my modest appreciation, if they were dependent on consumers like myself, they would be virtually unknown and struggle to raise the capital to truly carry out their business plan and execute their vision. Fortunately the fashion conscious, urban lumber/metrosexual hybrids with a bit too much technical gear and a few too many nights in the wilderness keep the dream alive.
Last edited by WYOGO on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Interesting that you posted this, I came across this article yesterday. Yvon Chouinard/Patagonia certainly seem to be leading the pack in companies that are placing a high emphasis on sustainable and a focus on the environment over revenue. Although, I wonder what effect the high school and mainstream population who wear the jackets etc. for mainly fashion purposes has on their overall revenue. Because I think the majority of this segment doesn't worry about the environmental impact or not buying new products. If they weren't buying the products, would the company still be successful? I think so, but definitely much smaller.

I'd never heard the term lumbersexual before :lol: . I know a number of those.

This is a good interview with Yvon Chouinard centered around sustainability and Patagonia's practices: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbsLeXldDrg

Edit: Yvon Chouinard says.."What would an economy look like that doesn't destroy the planet? Well I can tell you I don't have the answer to that.." I do. ERE centered world!!

frihet

Post by frihet »

Nice! read about this trend on Swedens best blog, Written by your clone Jacob :) . An extremely intelligent self made man just like you. Flatter I know ;) He's actually becoming quite a political force here so if you ever want to read alternative news from Sweden written with a dry sense of ironic humour. This is the place to go.

http://cornucopia.cornubot.se/2014/11/m ... xuell.html