Conservatives/Liberals Hardwired Differently

Your favorite books and links

jennypenny

Re: Conservatives/Liberals Hardwired Differently

Post by jennypenny »

Different research about that topic ... viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4994&p=76035&hilit ... ind#p76035

Chad

Post by Chad »

If forgot that thread was there.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I find the current trend to try and find 'scientific' reasons for why people are liberal and conservative a little unsettling. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, but it always seemed rather obvious to me.

Another difference between liberals and conservatives is the blue dress shirt with the white collar. Every damn time I see a guy wearing one on Bloomberg or CNBC he ends up being very conservative. I know this is unscientific, but I have yet to stumble across a liberal commentator wearing the shirt. I'm sure he exists, but it's kind of weird.

workathome

Post by workathome »

It's a little disconcerting because it suggest the human dimension of free will/decision-making is rather mechanistic and perhaps could be "fixed" with the right tuning. Maybe liberals/conservatives just need to start taking antidepressant type drugs to fix the chemical imbalance, etc.

Especially applies if you accept existential relativism. If there is no truth, maybe we just need to make people think what we think we should think...

simplex

Post by simplex »

Don't be concerned about giving someone drugs to change their free will. Facebook just ran some experiments how people react to censored news. As many people are quite naive when following news and often seek confirmation of what they already know, they are quite easily influenced. When you have a universal platform like facebook, you can influence nearly everyone, something difficult with tv or newspapers, because they exist in conservative / liberal flavour (and conservatives / liberals choose their preferred flavour).

Chad

Post by Chad »

I was a Republican/conservative until about 20-23 years old and now I'm rather liberal, but I wouldn't call myself a Democrat like I called myself a Republican then. I wonder how that fits in with this study.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

jennypenny wrote:I find the current trend to try and find 'scientific' reasons for why people are liberal and conservative a little unsettling. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.
It strikes me as political eugenics. Like the last round, it won't end well.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

It's not good or bad. It simply is. The problem is that it significantly challenges the way we've set up our current political institutions(*) We'd possibly need new ones to deal with this knowledge. On the other hand, look how Barnay's findings in terms of election ads and now facebook datamining is used to manipulate political opinion. It kinda makes a farce out of the whole process, doesn't it? Then again, how is that different from us supposed arrogant intellectual elites doing the same thing by posting clever sounding tirades or politicians using every rhetorical trick in the book known since ... the ancient Greeks?

Two questions:

Does it matter as long as people still believe in the political process?
What happens if they stop?

(*) Or does it. If we know that 59% of the population is this way and 41% is the other way, might it be possible to compute an ideal society. The begs the next question: What if our initial assumptions about the importance of the neurochemistry is wrong? Representative democracy has been time-tested for about 200 years (7 generations of leaders) which isn't much. This stuff is new...

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Tyler9000 wrote:
jennypenny wrote:I find the current trend to try and find 'scientific' reasons for why people are liberal and conservative a little unsettling. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.
I agree.

It reminds me of when people try to cure things like introvertedness. I think learning about and understanding the scientific basis for different traits is a good thing. I just worry about it being used against people. Or misunderstood.

Chad

Post by Chad »

jennypenny wrote:
Tyler9000 wrote:
I agree.

It reminds me of when people try to cure things like introvertedness. I think learning about and understanding the scientific basis for different traits is a good thing. I just worry about it being used against people. Or misunderstood.
How is attaining information eugenics? No one is suggesting either conservatives or liberals be sterilized or some such nonsense.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Chad wrote: How is attaining information eugenics? No one is suggesting either conservatives or liberals be sterilized or some such nonsense.
The tone from the original article is not exactly one of pure information gathering. It's a left-wing article talking about the '"science" (validated by consensus of unnamed "scholars" including "political scientists" and "political psychologists") of conservatives behaving literally like cavemen. I'd find it a lot more interesting if they included discussion of similar research on liberal thinking. But they didn't.

True, there are no calls for sterilization. But INTJs who can coldly appreciate the search for knowledge would be wise to recognize when science is being cited merely as a veil for political bias and propaganda.

GandK

Post by GandK »

This discussion reminds me of an article I read recently in Pacific Standard:

First-Born Children Are More Likely to Grow Up Into Conservatives

Chad

Post by Chad »

GandK wrote:This discussion reminds me of an article I read recently in Pacific Standard:

First-Born Children Are More Likely to Grow Up Into Conservatives
As a first born, that doesn't hold up.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Tyler9000 wrote:
Chad wrote: How is attaining information eugenics? No one is suggesting either conservatives or liberals be sterilized or some such nonsense.
The tone from the original article is not exactly one of pure information gathering. It's a left-wing article talking about the '"science" (validated by consensus of unnamed "scholars" including "political scientists" and "political psychologists") of conservatives behaving literally like cavemen. I'd find it a lot more interesting if they included discussion of similar research on liberal thinking. But they didn't.

True, there are no calls for sterilization. But INTJs who can coldly appreciate the search for knowledge would be wise to recognize when science is being cited merely as a veil for political bias and propaganda.
A serious question. Have conservatives ever been true victims of liberals? I'm not talking about social ostracization and pressue like what occurs in academia, not that it's great. I'm asking has something like the Spanish Inquisition been done to conservatives by liberals.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Chad wrote: A serious question. Have conservatives ever been true victims of liberals? I'm not talking about social ostracization and pressue like what occurs in academia, not that it's great. I'm asking has something like the Spanish Inquisition been done to conservatives by liberals.
Any communist uprising?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Not literal eugenics, more like political eugenics as in "that's your neurochemistry talking, so we're going to weigh it accordingly". Right now, we, that is, our political institutions still work under the illusion that all political opinions are informed by free will.

Chad

Post by Chad »

jennypenny wrote:
Chad wrote: A serious question. Have conservatives ever been true victims of liberals? I'm not talking about social ostracization and pressue like what occurs in academia, not that it's great. I'm asking has something like the Spanish Inquisition been done to conservatives by liberals.
Any communist uprising?
I thought of that, except after the revolution it always seems to be conservatives that have power. Stalin was far from a liberal.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I would argue that any dictator like Stalin eventually gets rid of all of the intellectuals. A liberal will get rid of the conservatives to attain power, and then gets rid of the remaining intellectuals. A conservative starts with the liberals, but eventually gets to the conservative ones, too.

Academia can be militant, Chad. It's a shame because it fuels the suspicion of the 'intellectual elite' that jacob mentioned in the other thread.
Last edited by jennypenny on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.