Stealth camper

Your favorite books and links
Matty

Stealth camper

Post by Matty »

http://tinyhousetalk.com/ford-transit-stealth-camper/

Very minimalist camper which makes it look like it might not be a camper even from the inside. Seems like it was designed around fitting a motorbike in the back but the open space could be used for a variety of things. I especially like the ramp/ladder on the back. Makes it look like a work vehicle.

I guess the main issue with stealth campers is they would be inviting for thieves, unaware of the person sleeping inside and expecting a variety of expensive tools.

jennypenny

Re: Stealth camper

Post by jennypenny »

Funny, Ego and I have been discussing this. I have a '02 Ford econoline high top. I like the econolines better than the transits. The low tops look even more like work vans and would be stealthier. They are fairly inexpensive to repair and find parts for because there are so many of them on the road. I love it and plan on driving it forever. Once my kids move out, I'm going to convert the back to be more like a camper. Right now, it only has a bed and some closet/storage space.

m741

Post by m741 »

You can just do this with a minivan, too. No need for the extra space of larger vans. Just take out the back seats and put in a sleeping platform. Completely inconspicuous. I traveled that way for 2.5 months.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I love this idea and keep thinking about it on the backburner, even though I will probably never live this way.

You could do the same thing with the Ram ProMaster (aka FIAT Ducato) or Dodge Sprinter (aka Mercedes Sprinter).

I think you could put a passive solar water heater, and solar oven, on the roof, disguised as generic workman's storage boxes.

If you're into this sort of thing, check out this guy's blog:
http://www.stealthvandweller.com/

The Airstream Interstate is basically a pre-built luxury version of this idea:
http://www.airstream.com/touring-coache ... state-ext/
It's not quite as stealth, but maybe it would be if it were debadged and painted white.

den18

Post by den18 »

That is a cool setup.

I remember when researching this I found its better to just go with a passenger van or even a Camper Van. Vans like this tend to either draw suspicion from passerby or interest from thieves who think expensive tools are inside. I think the new "Stealth" is to not stand out and that is better done with a passenger van or Class B RV.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

That Airstream is really nice. I don't think I could justify the cost unless I lived in it full time. For that much money, I would probably consider giving up stealthiness and get a Class C instead (and have money left over).

Pronoid

Post by Pronoid »

Looks like the guy from www.stealthvandweller.com lost most of his previous articles on his experience due to Yahoo shutting down some service he used. Too bad as I was excited to read about it. Anyone know of any similar blogs?

Those airstreams are very expensive at almost $150k for a 2014. Yikes!

Chad

Post by Chad »

Matty wrote:http://tinyhousetalk.com/ford-transit-stealth-camper/

Very minimalist camper which makes it look like it might not be a camper even from the inside. Seems like it was designed around fitting a motorbike in the back but the open space could be used for a variety of things. I especially like the ramp/ladder on the back. Makes it look like a work vehicle.

I guess the main issue with stealth campers is they would be inviting for thieves, unaware of the person sleeping inside and expecting a variety of expensive tools.
I would definitely design a more stealthy window covering. It would need too look more like the actual window to not draw attention to the vehicle. This probably means an internal covering that was the same shade as the tint on the windows would be best.

susswein

Post by susswein »

den18 wrote:That is a cool setup.

I remember when researching this I found its better to just go with a passenger van or even a Camper Van. Vans like this tend to either draw suspicion from passerby or interest from thieves who think expensive tools are inside. I think the new "Stealth" is to not stand out and that is better done with a passenger van or Class B RV.
There's a whole humorous thread somewhere out on the net about business names that would make your van less popular as a target for thieves. some of my favorites:

- George's guard dogs
- Al's alligator farm
- Bob's Bee removal
- sam's Septic
- Hank's hazmat Cleanup
- Craig's Cadaver Treansport
- Paul's mobile pet euthanisation and Crematorium

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I showed DH the Airstream. He said that if we were buying it now (in our 40's) and planned on living in it full time, he could see spending that kind of money on it. If we were just going to travel 2-3 months per year in it, it might make more sense to buy a beater since we'd have time to work on it every year to keep it running.

My favorite stealth van is Glenn's at To Simplify (the red one).

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Used Airstreams are cheaper, for example:
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2007-Ai ... -112502523

And it's kind of nice knowing that an engineer figured out things like where to put the generator so that no one gets carbon monoxide poisoning.

But yeah, there's a "cool" premium on these vs. comparable RVs, and DIY is cheaper yet.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

KevinW wrote: And it's kind of nice knowing that an engineer figured out things like where to put the generator so that no one gets carbon monoxide poisoning.
picky, picky ;)

sky

Post by sky »

Matty

Post by Matty »

@ susswein - I especially like the septic one! Disgusting, yet a bit more believable than an alligator farm! You'd just want to remember to take the sign down when camping in a national park. You'd get some funny looks walking out of that van in the morning...

I've had experience with various campervans. I've hired campervans for a few trips which was expensive but cheaper than staying in accommodation. I also owned an old Kombi pop-top for a few years. It was good fun but ultimately too much hassle with expensive repairs, breakdowns and the smell of petrol while trying to sleep. My next van purchase will most likely be something less than 10 years old. In reference to the other thread about cars going on at the moment, perhaps 9 years old, make a few camping improvements, travel for 12 months then try to sell for a profit?

Of all the nights I've stayed in an obvious campervan I've never been bothered. On the one occasion I slept in my 4wd in a beachside parking lot I had two guys try to break in to the car while I was sleeping in it! Luckily I scared them off when they realised there was someone in the car yelling at them. They assumed it was an empty car left by someone fishing on the beach most likely. If I think about it, I'd much rather be told to move on/get fined every now and then than run the risk of further break in attempts.

henrik

Post by henrik »

“The ironic thing is if I didn’t make this change, I would have been close to living out of my van, which would have made me a god among hipsters.”
http://lettucefold.com/2014/06/30/hipst ... ainstream/

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I love this concept.

Not as stealth, but I've seen someone with a Honda Element add a compartment on the roof that pops up for sleeping. The access is through the second sunroof in the back. If you removed the back seats, you'd have room for whatever assorted gear/tech you'd like to add.

C40

Post by C40 »

I have a folder in my hard drive with a ton of sprinter van pictures. I think I'd like to live in one for a couple years before settling down somewhere.

One of my retirement fantasies is to explore the US while living out of one. I have close friends and family in pretty good locations for visits while doing this - rocky mountains, southwest, west coast, and pacific northwest.

Matty

Post by Matty »

@ theanimal - That sounds good! Not stealthy, but I especially like the sunroof access and now I'm having all these great ideas on how to rig up that kind of setup on other cars with a sunroof. I think I found what you are talking about here:

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/camper_main.htm
Over $5000 is quite expensive though for essentially a tent.

I also seen a fair few of these type tents around:
http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolina.php
Again, pretty expensive but there are some cheaper models on the spectrum: $2500-$6000. The downside with these and most other rooftop tents is no internal access.

I still think I like the van as the ultimate long-term camping set up. Having the option to cook, eat and read in comfort when the weather/bugs are bad is pretty good.

skintstudent

Post by skintstudent »

These can be bought for quite reasonable prices here in the UK. About £4k will get you a half decent one, though I've seen them go for as little as £1000.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I love this one, 50 MPG (UK).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gno2rtY4m20