Do what you love

Your favorite books and links
Matty

Do what you love

Post by Matty »

http://www.raptitude.com/2014/01/6-shou ... -a-living/

An interesting article on Raptitude today as a counter argument to the anti-do what you love crowd represented in this article: https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/01/in-the-name-of-love/

What do you think? ERE tends to be more option 1 with the flexibility to be option 2:

1. Do what you are good at, can make money from and don't totally hate and then do what you love 5 years later without the pressure to earn money from it.

2. There is also the option to do what you love while living frugally OR

3. Do what you love AND make lots of money from it, but I think the second article is arguing these people are a very small minority. Anyone can do option 1 or 2 but option 3 requires a certain level of luck and skill that we aren't all gifted with.

BattlaP

Re: Do what you love

Post by BattlaP »

I think that people jump to see this topic in black or white. Like you can have EITHER a job you love OR a job you hate that makes good money.

I think the important thing is to pursue the things you like about the job you're already in - if you hate the job, then sure, look for something else. But if you like some parts of it but dislike others, position yourself for the taking on of more things you like and getting other people to take charge of things you don't prefer. This strategy may take more time than just jumping ship, but it's served me extremely well.

The whole 'do what you love' thing seems pretty unique to this time period and culture I think. Generally people do what they have to do to survive, the ways they know best. We've got a lot of luxury.

Felix

Re: Do what you love

Post by Felix »

I think what the jacobin article tries to say is that even if you do a job you love, you should still get paid decently for your work and that people who are forced to do work they do not love are not lacking in some fundamental human quality, but rather ended up with the short end of the stick someone has to take in a society organized like ours.

Doing what you love is probably best done as a hobby. Introducing money into it can often ruin the motivation. Ideally, you need little money (and the little you need is ideally earned with not many hours of your life and not unpleasant or soul-crushing) - that way you have more time for your hobby/life.

It seems to be a better approach than trying to turn your passion into a product or service. It gives you more freedom that way. You don't have to pick your passion by market demand.