(Cultural) Things That Last

Your favorite books and links
NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

This is a theme of Jacob's prescription--buying only high-quality, long-lasting items that hold their value.
The discussion of 4HWW v. ERE has me pondering cultural artifacts that last, like books and films.
In film, to me it seems clear that "2012" et al are our era's "Planet of the Apes"--throwaway entertainment that won't be anything but kitsch to future generations. "Brokeback Mountain" (haven't seen) strikes me as this generation's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"--taboo-breaking which will be mostly confusing to audiences in even ten years. Other hits that didn't survive a decade before becoming embarrassing: "Reality Bites," "Crash," "Ghandi."
It's easy to pick losers--look at the Academy Award winners for the last 40 years and see how few have endured the passage of time--but winners are a more difficult prospect.
I think "Moon" is a sci-fi gem that may sleep its way into the decades, only to awake as a classic, because it has a novel premise, great acting, doesn't rely on flashy effects, and has a great, unassuming soundtrack.
"Disgrace" is a shocking, affecting film set in modern-day South Africa starring John Malkovich. I've never seen anything like it. Like "Moon," it's small, but I think it may grow through the years because of its historical (to-be) setting.
I'm a little out of my depth when it comes to books--I probably consume 20 films for each book I finish. I'm implying something by leading into this post with "4HWW v. ERE." Thoughts?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Impossible! :)
For example, I was amused to learn from Bryson's book that the founding fathers weren't exactly thrilled/proud of the way the Constitution was written.
I believe Shakespeare wasn't exactly considered high art in his own time.
If there's anything something needs to fulfill it's a "permanent premise", something that has to do with the human condition in some way.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Which Bryson book was that? Sounds like an interesting read

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Made in America (Bill Bryson)

Maus

Post by Maus »

In principle, I agree that some works of art, film or literature can become classics. A few still cling to the idea of a literary canon -- those books that MUST be read. Harold Bloom comes to mind as a defender. But others decry such an idea as privileging the work of "dead white males." See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_canon
The entire post-modern project, and especially the proponents of deconstruction, have undermined the ability for society to achieve consensus about what social artifacts should be considered valuable or aesthetically pleasing.
So it comes down to utility. I suspect most ERE-minded people are going to value the artifacts that provide good, lasting service in the most efficient manner. E.g. it's better to have one good knife that lasts and works superbly than a succession of cheap, Ikea-sourced knives that barely survive a year.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

"Artifacts that provide good, lasting service in the most efficient manner."
This brings me to my first book nomination for a cultural thing that will last: "Tent Posts" by Henri Michaux. Talk about efficient; the most valuable aphorisms/poems in that book, to me, are one short sentence long.
Michaux is a dead white European male, but probably not invited to the canon. I'll quote him if I can get my hands on a copy of that book--embarrassing that I couldn't even memorize the one-liners.
The most valuable and lasting works for me are ones that remind me of the brevity of human life and the beauty in the everyday. Perhaps I'm a modern?

Maus

Post by Maus »

@Zev

I'll hunt Michaux down. Epigrams have a long history of providing distilled wisdom. Martial for the Romans and Pope for the Renaissance English.
While I might not seem sanguine about the idea of the (a) canon, I am actually committed to its preservation. Hey, my bachelors are in rhetoric and philosophy; you can't get much deader, whiter or maler.
Regarding film, it has such a short history -- barely a century -- that it seems premature to do anything but pan the obvious failures.