Resources and recommend watching

Your favorite books and links
SavingWithBabies

Re: Resources and recommend watching

Post by SavingWithBabies »

@cmonkey I started dreaming too. I was left thinking about how well it would work in Michigan. It seems like there is a lot of low land here that pools water. Or if it's not your land, it's like that down the road. I guess one needs to look very carefully at elevation and how the potential land fits into the drainage of the greater area (along with looking for southern exposure).

As a vocation, it touches on a lot of interesting topics (propagation, interesting non-local plants) and has interesting aspects like being year round. I noticed how his was attached to the house so I would guess he could go out there and do his thing in the winter without even stepping outside.

mferson

Post by mferson »

Redbird wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:43 pm
How to Sharpen a Knife | Paul Sellers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bailuQUh2mY
That video is a good tutorial! Thanks for sharing the link.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

black_son_of_gray wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:24 am
Unconventional investment style that focuses on preservation of capital, etc. I got some Harry Browne-ish vibes, but clearly different. Some interesting intersections with ERE ideas of wealth/capital and "enduring over the long term"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4_U6bS-cU4
More Tony Deden gems (text, not video - sorry):
https://www.investorsingh.com/40-invalu ... ony-deden/

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Ego wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:15 pm
Has anyone seen the movie?
Downloaded. Watching now.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Look forward to a review. Is it out on a streaming service or....?

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

A review would be coloured by biases so instead I'm providing a background.

Expensive credit:
Educational loans are not available unless backed by assets (parents'). This is a catch-22 as if your parents can afford to take a loan for you, then they'd rather dig into their savings and pay for education outright. So most of the people who take loans are doing so for post-graduation abroad or medical education. You need a strong financial backer who believes in you, usually these are your parents, but sometimes private individuals also pick up the mantle.

Prevalence of "coaching" classes:
It is the same as life "coaches" but scaleable. Being a coaching class absolves you of the failure of your students but you can take all the credit for those that get admitted to premier institutions. Due to the sheer number of students that pass through their gates, some will rise above the rest. In this sense they are more like preparatory schools.

Not one of these coaching classes will tell you % of students who were "coached" for a course got admitted to that course, but instead they will run survivorship bias on full throttle. They will print pages of ads with the name, passport size photo and rank of the students. Some classes will even go so far as to buy rights to plaster students in their ads who they have never taught.

Logistics of coaching classes:
Unlike preparatory schools, coaching classes run over and above your regular schedule. Some start as early as 6th grade for the K+12th exam. You complete your regular school/college day and go there to sit for another 3 hours of lectures.
Needless to say it is very hectic for the students. I dropped out of a class in my K+11th year due to this. The workaround these classes have developed is having tieups with colleges.
Sometimes some government run K+11,12 college are on the verge of closure when a coaching class wins the tender to run it. They can afford to bid low on tenders because they don't have to wait for students to be profitable. They bring their students with them. For another 5x the cost of college or 0.5x the cost of class yearly, you can get admitted into these colleges. Now you can solely focus of the engineering college you want to get into, the theory papers and the engineering entrance exam. You don't have to attend practicals, you'll get 150 page journals for each subject that you have to write in your own handwriting and submit for termwork marks.

Need for coaching classes:
The regular colleges are run in various ways-
fully aided, government run
unaided , private run
govt aided, private run.
Government run colleges have higher demand, not because they teach any better, but because they are limited in number and have lower fees.
The main culprits are the govt aided colleges, regardless of if private/public run. Problems:
1 The professors are industry rejects, who are teaching because they couldn't get a job doing anything else
2 50% of professor posts are reserved for minorities and historically disadvantaged classes
3 Lifetime achievement award: getting a job is like hitting the lottery, you are now part of the system
4 30 years of stable income and pension after that, regardless of how your students are faring or weather you are teaching anything, if at all
5 Out of whack student to teacher ratios. In school a class was between 45-55 students, 11,12th grade 110-120, engineering 60-80.

Affirmative action:
All hope is not lost though. The various affirmative action programs can be grouped into two. Birth based and economic level based. If you can prove that your parents' income from all sources is less than ~$10k/year, then you get Tuition Fee Waver Scheme.
If you are born into any of the numerous Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, VJNT (VJ stands for freely moving and NT for nomadic tribes) or a religious minority (Muslim, Christian, Roman Catholic, Sikh, Jain or Buddhist) or a linguistic minority or an ethnic minority (Anglo-Indian, Kashmiri after the ethnic cleansing of 1992, etc) or female, you have amongst yourselves upto 72% of all engineering seats reserved for you. Funny thing is if, Lord Kṛṣṇa who is the crown jewel of the Yadava lineage, was born today, he would be put in under Other Backward Classes OBC category.

Meritocracy:
Apart from the little hiccup above, the admission process is closest to a meritocracy. There are few institute level seats that the college fills on its own. All other seats are pooled together into a nation wide database. You can simultaneously apply to 30 different colleges and courses across the country in your order of preferences. Benefit is you don't have to write a cover letter for each college you apply to. Demerit is you get reduced to your score/rank/percentile. There are different merit lists published depending on if you are an open/general candidate or if you qualify for an affirmative action program. You get to know which college you are eligible for. You can take admission or wait and sit out for round 2, 3, 4, ...

Whats the point anyway when the best and brightest(TM) who get into the IITs, around which the movie revolves, get educated with the tax-payer subsidized education, only to be picked up by companies abroad and pay taxes in other countries.

sky

Post by sky »

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

chrisreads

Post by chrisreads »

Houses built with plastic bottles. A bit different than the Earthships as you don't see the plastic bottles afterward.

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index ... e-village/

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

DoubleLine Round Table:
Part 1 - Macro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR0mAzZwpwA
Part 2 - Markets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9TWGlJPdew
Part 3: (Coming Soon)

A panel of managers/economists/insiders discusses the current global macro and US market situation. Lots of commentary and interesting points made on the same kind of topics that people here like to talk about (e.g. in the Permanently Low Interest Rates thread, discussions of impact of shift to ETF investing, rising debt, inflation/deflation debate). No discussion of cryptocurrencies.

Super cringey intro though.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Epidemics in Western Society Since 1600
https://oyc.yale.edu/history/hist-234

About the Course
This course consists of an international analysis of the impact of epidemic diseases on western society and culture from the bubonic plague to HIV/AIDS and the recent experience of SARS and swine flu. Leading themes include: infectious disease and its impact on society; the development of public health measures; the role of medical ethics; the genre of plague literature; the social reactions of mass hysteria and violence; the rise of the germ theory of disease; the development of tropical medicine; a comparison of the social, cultural, and historical impact of major infectious diseases; and the issue of emerging and re-emerging diseases.

Lecture 1 Introduction to the Course
Lecture 2 Classical Views of Disease: Hippocrates, Galen, and Humoralism
Lecture 3 Plague (I): Pestilence as Disease
Lecture 4 Plague (II): Responses and Measures
Lecture 5 Plague (III): Illustrations and Conclusions
Lecture 6 Smallpox (I): "The Speckled Monster"
Lecture 7 Smallpox (II): Jenner, Vaccination, and Eradication
Lecture 8 Nineteenth-Century Medicine: The Paris School of Medicine
Lecture 9 Asiatic Cholera (I): Personal Reflections
Lecture 10 Asiatic Cholera (II): Five Pandemics
Lecture 11 The Sanitary Movement and the "Filth Theory of Disease"
Lecture 12 Syphilis: From the "Great Pox" to the Modern Version
Lecture 13 Contagionism versus Anticontagionism
Exam 1 Midterm Exam
Lecture 14 The Germ Theory of Disease
Lecture 15 Tropical Medicine as a Discipline
Lecture 16 Malaria (I): The Case of Italy
Lecture 17 Malaria (II): The Global Challenge
Lecture 18 Tuberculosis (I): The Era of Consumption
Lecture 19 Tuberculosis (II): After Robert Koch
Lecture 20 Pandemic Influenza
Lecture 21 The Tuskegee Experiment
Lecture 22 AIDS (I)
Lecture 23 AIDS (II)
Lecture 24 Poliomyelitis: Problems of Eradication
Lecture 25 SARS, Avian Influenza, and Swine Flu: Lessons and Prospects
Lecture 26 Final Q&A
Exam 2 Final Exam

daylen

Post by daylen »

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 93n_c2yFbe

Great Courses: An Introduction to Infectious Diseases

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

ffj wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:20 pm
The Tiger King
I'm two episodes in. These big cat people are really, really messed up. It seems like a very dirty business too.

If anyone likes sci fi The Expanse and Altered Carbon are entertaining. I'm only one season into each though. Picard is OK too but since I have never been into Star Trek it hasn't grabbed me as much.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The Command (on netflix) is very good. True story about the Kursk.

I can't believe the Tiger King is going to be one of the memorable shared experiences from this pandemic. :lol:

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

A big second on The Expanse for scifi fans. It took me the whole first season to truly wrap my head around the large number of disparate characters and world building, but it evolves into the best scifi series I've ever seen. Also recommend Dark a great German scifi series on Netflix. I just started Altered Carbon, this one is more action scifi, also some interesting world building, I'm about 1/2 through the first season so my opinion may change, but presently rank it below the first two.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MHT5xTkL2g
1918 Spanish Flu series from the Great Courses

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Phenomenal video! This guy and his wife bought 400 acres in Northern California in 1968 and lived on the property since. They built 3 unique houses, homeschooled their kids and got much of their food from the property. The first house was built for $2800 ( I don't think inflation adjusted so $16k now) and the others for not much more. He's 88 now and has a tremendous amount of energy. What an inspiration.

Full of ERE gems, here's one that stuck out early on..."Limitations aren't always bad, they inspire creation. If you can't buy it, you have to make it."

https://youtu.be/2qcsWajivnI

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

That was good. It's sad that neither of his kids is interested in carrying it on.

I also really liked this recent one from Dirksen. It's a glimpse of several ERE-types and how they are doing during the pandemic.

eta: ^^ part 3 in a series

Part 1: World of Windows: pandemic-proof collaboration to (re)build resilience
A virus, smaller than a micron, has made it clear that we are now a world without borders. Confined to our homes, we now share similar fears, and often, hopes. We asked creators, builders, thinkers, friends from dense cities to isolated wilderness to show us their view right now.

Part 2: How we live now: tips from offgridders, tinyhousers, homesteaders
For some, preparing for the unexpected has been a way of life for years. We visit (via their cameras) permaculture farmers in Tulsa, Oklahoma growing much of their food in backyard hoop houses, a rainwater harvester collecting and reusing water at home and off the streets of Tucson, Arizona, an A-frame cabin builder at home surrounded by the wilderness of Central Mexico, a family in Kauai, Hawaii living off the land in their hand built tiny home of recycled materials. They bring us some tips from their homesteads or city apartments (like instructions for a living wall from recycled drink bottles from our friends in Mexico City).

Part 3: How will we live? urban prepping & rural resilience’s momentum
To catch a glimpse of what our future might hold, we visit (again, via their cameras) some who have been prepping for the next big earthquake in San Francisco, climate change in Hawaii and the extreme winter in off-grid Alaska.

benrickert

Post by benrickert »

Happy People: A year in the Taiga by Werner Herzog

http://www.documentarymania.com/playerf ... he%20Taiga

People living off the land in the Russian Siberian Taiga - only reachable by boat or helicopters. Follows trappers through a year, with the winter being fronted as their real playground. Builds huts, traps, tools, skis, boats, etc. Uses some modern tools like boat motors and chainsaws. But a glimpse back in time for sure.