Living on $5,000/year now called "intentional poverty"

Your favorite books and links
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Living on $5,000/year now called "intentional poverty"

Post by jacob »

It used to be called voluntary simplicity.

A few months ago some MSM journalist contacted me to see if I was interested in providing a contrast to "living in poverty" (given the same level of spending) on a photo series on poverty. I rejected the invitation since there's much more to poverty than just a low level of spending. (I could just imagine the backlash from participating in the series.)

But yes, most people really seem to have a problem fitting square pegs into round holes. It's kinda sad.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

That's so funny because I worked on a paper about a month ago on US poverty living standards. It showed that most households under the poverty level owned items like washers/dryers, dishwashers, multiple TV's, etc. I remember thinking that most people here live below the standard they set for poverty. I tried to find a link to the paper, but of course the census site is down right now. I don't understand why people judge poverty by spending level, specifically spending on non-durable goods.

djc

Post by djc »

The level of anger and assumption of negative traits like laziness and use of welfare benefits in most of the comments at the end of the article astounds me, just astounds me. The subject of the article (Dan Price) responds to the criticisms of him and just destroys the naysayers. His responses are at the end of the comment section.

I urge serious thought before opening up ones private life to the general public. Among like-minded people its a good thing; among the great unwashed maybe not. I think you made the right choice Jacob.

djc

djc

Post by djc »

Dan Price responds under "hobartist" on comment page 15. He has two responses.

djc

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

djc wrote:Dan Price responds under "hobartist" on comment page 15. He has two responses.

djc
It's always interesting to see how people like him get under the skin of others. Unfortunately he seemed surprised at the response (must not troll boards like ERE) but it will go away quick for him.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Finally, someone extreme enough to warrant discussion! ... Awesome guy, decent article, terrible comments. His webpage looks really interesting, hoping to get his "Radical Simplicity" book, but I see it's no longer available on Kindle.
http://www.moonlightchronicles.com

I read 33 and thought, he looks slightly older (maybe his life actually is too stressful?). Then I saw he is in his mid-50s, and looks much younger, healthier, stronger than most his age.

Enneagram1
"Public services" is NOT about welfare. I'm talking about services that he uses and that we pay for, such as: maintenance of sidewalks, bridges, street lighting; library services, police protection, local government services, emergency hospital services, maintaining parks and roads, snow removal, garbage removal, etc. etc. etc."

This guy's shoes and bike tires are decimating our infrastructure and I wont stand for it!!!!! :evil:
... Although it is a good list of taxes that should be apportioned IMO (please no derail).

... If I gave up some hobbies/vices/trips and focused more on food production and procurement, I could get to his level of spending... I wonder what shape the comment anger would take when my life looks very much like theirs at 5-10% the cost.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Awesome find. I wonder if he's ever heard of Jacob/ERE?

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

His house is basically a big wooden tent built into the hill a bit and covered with 2 feet dirt for insulation. Pretty sweet.

He pays $100 a year for the land. I wonder how? Is that just the property tax, or a lease or what?

djc

Post by djc »

Without going back to check I believe the article said he rents the land from the owner.

djc

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

It makes me sad to realize that many interesting/badass people has to live under the radar because exposure to the riff-raff is detrimental to their lives. One model has people's pursuit of power split into money, fame, politics. Having spent a brief time in high finance I know there are people who pursue money who abscond any kind of fame. For good reasons. But there's so much we'll never learn because of that.

After trying to bring the msg out in 2011, I changed my mind and chose to let people come to me/ERE rather than the other way around for the same reason. However, it's tragic that some people---those who don't know they don't know---are left out because of this strategy.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Dan Price’s underground home, art & philosophy on $5,000/year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdLAM-wChxY

henrik

Post by henrik »

theanimal wrote:Dan Price’s underground home, art & philosophy on $5,000/year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdLAM-wChxY
This was quite inspiring!

chenda

Post by chenda »

Speaking of trolls and haters, this video gives a interesting and relevant perspective on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew_qtLo9F54

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

I've talked to Dan Price a couple of times on the phone over the years. I reached out to him because he got me drawing again and I got very interested in simplicity after reading his book. Radical Simplicity changed my life. I've read it about 10 times. He's a very nice guy. He exemplifies rugged individualism. He really does not care what other people think of him and he questions everything regarding "do I need that".

I love his illustrations in his books. I highly recommend his book "How to Make a Journal of Your Life" if you have any interest in journaling, art, or drawing.

He eats his cereal with water so he doesn't have to worry about milk spoiling. He surfs in Hawaii now during the winters and usually sleeps in a sleeping bag at a friend's place while in Hawaii. He lived in outdoor tents and a tipi for a few years before he built the current hobbit hole.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

tylerrr wrote: He eats his cereal with water so he doesn't have to worry about milk spoiling.
This is exactly the same reason I stopped buying milk shortly after I moved out from home :geek: As far as I remember, it was my first "weird" (to other people) ERE-like habit.

Now I just like it better.

PS: Jim Merkel wrote Radical Simplicity ... or are you talking about another Radical Simplicity book? edit: Nevermind, I see that there indeed is a lost kindle book out there somewhere.

GandK

Post by GandK »

jacob wrote:
tylerrr wrote: He eats his cereal with water so he doesn't have to worry about milk spoiling.
This is exactly the same reason I stopped buying milk shortly after I moved out from home :geek: As far as I remember, it was my first "weird" (to other people) ERE-like habit.

Now I just like it better.
LOL! I thought I was the only one who does this! :lol: I don't eat breakfast cereal much anymore (mostly oatmeal now) but I've gotten so much flak over the years for pouring water on the cereal.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Pouring water on cereal....now there something that would irk the MIL :twisted: . Simple pleasures.
jacob wrote:I stopped buying milk
What do you substitute in recipes calling for milk? I am spending some effort in learning a bit more about cooking/replacing ingredients with other cheaper options and dairy is something we could probably reduce/eliminate to our benefit.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Do I really have to put milk and cream on the indulgences list now? :(

Is there any way to get his book now? Do any of you have a copy you want to loan out??

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Water for sauces and baking. Milk does very little on its own. As far as I know, milk is only required if you're making specific dairy products like yogurt, [ice] cream, or cheese.

If you like your liquid to have taste, you can stir in some honey (good for cereal) or high-speed blend some almonds. I don't.

Keep in mind that unless you have northern European genetics, you're probably lactose intolerant and shouldn't be using very much milk anyway because you basically can't digest it resulting in much farting, bloating, and other sorts of hilarity. Most of the world's humans eventually are once they grow up. Some more than others.

Of course there's a pill for this. There's also pain and suffering or abstaining or yogurt (which removes the lactose problem).

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I guess Irish works as Northern European. I like milk in my tea. I don't eat dry breakfast cereal. I like butter in my oatmeal, though I guess olive oil would work. It just seems to need some fat.