ERE movies

Your favorite books and links
Mater

Post by Mater »

Alone in the Wilderness. A great documentary about a man that retired in his fifties to build a simple cabin, near the Cook Inlet in Alaska. He planned to stay 1 year and ended up staying 30+.
Off the Grid. A documentary about Les Stroud (survivorman)building an off-gird family homestead in Canada.
Shawshank Redemption. The ultimate movie about hope/redemptiom.

sree

Post by sree »

Not really about ERE, but for any runners out there, try "Running the Sahara" on Netflix instant play. Its about 3 friends who decide to run across the Sahara desert, partly to raise awareness of water scarcity in Africa. They planned on finishing in 90 days, running something like 3 marathons a day, day in and day out. There are some setbacks and challenges but they all make it in abut 123 days.

Good inspiration for running, or sticking to any goal in general.
Stretching it a little further, some of Anthony Bourdains episodes where he visits a third world country and eats their food. The people there living simple lives and eating simple (but tasty) food, living in poverty, without any of the things we take for granted here.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Watched 3 Idiots last night
Great film about living the life that your heart calls you to rather than what society/family/"success" requires

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

"Last Train Home", 2009
Documentary about the 130 million migratory workers in China, focusing on a single family. 130 million people have homes/families in the country, often distant locations, and they take a train home for the Chinese New Year holiday. Follows a particular family through the highs and lows of the world economy.
The lure of money and getting a better life for their children drive parents to work in the city. The kids stay back in the home village, being taken care of by grandparents, while only seeing their parents for a couple weeks each year.
Of particular note is how lousy the factory dormitories are compared to this family's relatively spacious farmhouse. Yet the drive "for a better life for us & the kids" is so strong...

freudgirl

Post by freudgirl »

-Little Children

Like "revolutionary road" in a sense. It's about subarban adults acting out thier childish wishes becuase they feel trapped by their lifestlye and what other's might think if they left it behind.
-Happiness Runs

Interesting dystopian ERE future? The story of the children of a group of people who established a communistic society in rural america.

freudgirl

Post by freudgirl »

On second thought, Happiness Runs would not be really related to ERE, as most of the members of the commune mooch off of one really rich member......

george

Post by george »

I like 3 idiots
My favourite is " the Castle" You'll laugh and laugh and question the way we all live
It's an Australian movie, which amazes me because I think it would be a NZ movie, people from all cultures love it. (I'm a NZer)
An example is the way they just accept everybody, including members of their family who aren't a full quid.
And this weekend -
Go the All Blacks!!!

Surio

Post by Surio »

Robocop (the first one)
Running man (I think about 2/3rds of the movie is well-made)
Both films have "aged" well, i.e., if I watch the media circus of today, and those two films later, it is nothing short of chilling at how close we are to that.

raider

Post by raider »

After reading the introduction of the ERE book and Plato's cave analogy, I'm so reminded about a TV series that I watched while staying in Japan a while back:
"The Queen's Classoom" (TV Series)

It is about an ultra realist junior high-school teacher that tries to prepare the kids for the real world. I found that series very inspirational. You get the idea by watching this motivational speech (@15m 36s): http://youtu.be/zysvdJgGcis?t=15m36s
"Kaiji" (movie)

I think it used to be manga series before that they turned into a movie. Although I am not particularly fond of manga, the movie itself is somewhat inspirational when trying to avoid debt. If you want to watch the abuse of indebted "wage slaves" the movie is definitely inspirational: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1309449/

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I like a lot of the ones mentioned above. I will add "The Man In The Gray Flannel Suit" from 1956 starring Gregory Peck, which delves into how unchecked careerism can destroy lives.
Office Space probably has some of the best quotes, though, like these two (related):
Peter Gibbons: Our high school guidance counselor used to ask us what you'd do if you had a million dollars and you didn't have to work. And invariably what you'd say was supposed to be your career. So, if you wanted to fix old cars then you're supposed to be an auto mechanic.
Samir: So what did you say?
Peter Gibbons: I never had an answer. I guess that's why I'm working at Initech.
Michael Bolton: No, you're working at Initech because that question is bullshit to begin with. If everyone listened to her, there'd be no janitors, because no one would clean shit up if they had a million dollars.
Samir: You know what I would do if I had a million dollars? I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities...
Michael Bolton: Samir, you're missing the point. The point of the exercise is that you're supposed to figure out what you would want to do if...

[printer starts beeping]

Michael Bolton: "PC Load Letter"? What the fuck does that mean?
and
Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.
Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.
Lawrence: Well, what about you now? What would you do?
Peter Gibbons: Besides two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Well, yeah.
Peter Gibbons: Nothing.
Lawrence: Nothing, huh?
Peter Gibbons: I would relax... I would sit on my ass all day... I would do nothing.
Lawrence: Well, you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Take a look at my cousin: he's broke, don't do shit.

vern

Post by vern »

Herzog's Stroszek is a good film about the American dream not quite panning out.

Rob A.

Post by Rob A. »

I was just thinking today about this DVD I found at a book fair collecting all sorts of anti-work, anti-consumerist moments from Hollywood movies and arranged them into their own sort of narrative. It was an anarchist movie, I think- anyone ever come across it or know what t was? I lost it years ago and don't remember the title or who produced it.

peterk

Post by peterk »

Just watched Swiss Family Robinson this evening. That's the life. Only I couldn't possibly ever build that treehouse of theirs haha.

george

Post by george »

all 12 parts of "The castle" are on you tube - good movie for the weekend.

peterk

Post by peterk »

ursus13

Post by ursus13 »

Check out "Never Cry Wolf."
A young government biologist is assigned to travel to the isolated Canadian Arctic wilderness to study the area's population of wolves. Alone in the wilderness he has to learn how to survive.
One of my favorites.

C40

Post by C40 »

I looked through my Netflix list of movies viewed and my queue. Here are some that you might like. There are some on this list that I haven't watched yet so I can't vouch for all of them..
- Affluenza Watched this today.. pretty good description of problems, few suggestions until a guest appearance near the end by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin! (Authors of Your Money or Your Life)
- What would Jesus Buy? (Haven't watched this yet..)
- The Amish: A People of Preservation (Haven't watched yet...)
- In Debt We Trust I remember this being pretty good..
- No Impact Man ... Pretty good...
- 30 Days (A TV Show)
- The One Percent ... Interesting documentary of the super rich...
- Born Rich ... Interesting documentary of the super rich...
- Objectified
- Freakenomics
- E2 .... More Here at the PBS Website (Mouse over "The Series" in the grey toolbar)
- Big Ideas for a Small Planet (Not available on streaming right now...)
- Thumbs Up (Link is to the VBS site - free for everyone) .... Hitch hikers film their trips..
- The Bothersome Man I think this is the only non-documentary on this list..

C40

Post by C40 »

On Netflix now: Dive (A documentary about grocery stores throwing away food... and Dumpster diving)
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Dive/ ... kid=438403
Most reviews are 4-5 starts and I thought it was pretty good - at least the parts discussing the actual dumpster diving. Here's the lowest rated review on the first page "just a bunch of hipsters with no jobs and a stomach like a goat...." :-)
Cool to see what the dumpster diving is like, what kind of stuff gets thrown away, etc.

vern

Post by vern »

I can't believe we forgot to mention The Razor's Edge! I did a double feature of these films the other day and it reminded me of this thread.
I started with the 1946 Tyronne Power version, followed by the 1984 Bill Murray film. I'm a big fan of both movies. The plot is about a man who questions the 'life script', and gives up a career as a stock broker to go on a spiritual journey.
The book is one of my favorites as well.
You can watch the 1946 version for free here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVrY4neM1Zs

Catanduva

Post by Catanduva »

Not ERE-related, but a movie that moved me and never left my mind is Ikiru.

Shows how people can change in face of death and how others will remember you for what you've done, but some days later their lifes remains the same boring routine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikiru