Zen & Motorcycle Maintenance

Your favorite books and links
Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

I wish I could remember how old I was when I read Pirsig's book for the first time. Certainly more than 20 years ago - probably more. I remember that I enjoyed his discussion of quality and the actual maintenance bits (in hindsight, that would be my INTJness), the Phaedrus philosophical discussions not so much. But the book was very memorable and has been in the back of my mind all these years.
I've picked it up again and I'm hoping that with the decades of experience under my belt, I'll have a better understanding of what he's saying on the philosophical side of things. Also, now that I know more of his biography, I have a better organizational understanding of his character's perspective and the ghost of Phaedrus as his pre-shock therapy self.

Maus

Post by Maus »

You should check out Persig's second book, "Lila." It continues his exploration of a metaphysics of quality while he sails the intercoastal waterway. In some ways, the second book resonates more with my ERE outlook.

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

Thanks for the recommendation Maus. I'll put that book in the reading que next.

ScottfromMenominee

Post by ScottfromMenominee »

I'm forever grateful to my high school English teacher for introducing those books to me.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

I had no idea Pirsig was in electro-shock therapy. I read his bio, from a link in Wikipedia, which is interesting.
I read 'ZAMM' in the middle of college, as well as 'RDPD' during the same time period. I'm re-reading RDPD right now, which comes off quite differently after working for a few years. Now, I'm clearly able to understand his definition of middle class.
I'm now interested in re-reading 'ZAMM,' both because of the findings in Pirsig's bio as well as being in a different situation, student versus worker.

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

Same here. As I'm re-reading it, as I had hoped, it is making sense. I had recalled very little of the book from my original reading. When I said that the book was very memorable, I didn't mean that I remembered what the book was about, just that it stuck in my craw.
One story that did stick and will always stick in my mind is his discussion of the motorcycle repair shop with the shop monkeys who had a loud radio blaring and who screwed up the repair job on his bike.
I used to have a nice desk chair with a high back made out of spindles somewhat like a Windsor chair except with a straight top to it. One of the spindles had sheared off at the point where the dowel end went into the top of the chair. I didn't know anything about woodworking or furniture at the time, so I didn't know how to fix it and took it to what I thought was a craftsman who turned down the job of repairing the chair. I was a more than a little annoyed and set to thinking about the situation and figured that I could drill a hole in the top of the spindle and in the remnant of the end still in the top of the chair. Then I could glue a dowel to re-join the two pieces. It worked a charm and the chair was good as new.
From that point on, I've eschewed most "experts" and taught myself to perform repairs and renovations, similar to what Jacob's done. I think I can point directly to the discussion of quality in ZAMM for spurring my on in these endeavors.

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

I finished ZAMM and it turns out that I hadn't finished it the first time I read it, so many years ago. I couldn't have, because I would have remembered some of the turning points and the climax.
It was a good read and I think the lengthy discussion of quality is connected to ERE. As I said in a different thread, I really enjoyed his chapter on gumption traps.

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

I've always been a contrarian, but stubbornly so in my youth. At age 20, my girlfriend of the time was "caught" (by me) reading it. I exclaimed: "Are you reading that because it's on the NYT bestseller list?" Her: "I don't want to be at a party and not know what people are talking about!" Me: "That's bullsh$t! I don't read faddish drivel!"
Perhaps I should reconsider now. ;-)

Q

Post by Q »

I just reserved this book at the good old library - but this thread, much like the rest of ERE, just shows more of why it is best to do what you want to do and not slave away at a meaningless job.
Probably because we as society have been disbanded so to speak from the tribe mentality, we do not have assigned roles, nor help each other and society then makes us be dependent on others for hire or of self. It's the new society so to speak.
If I knew a cobbler, and I was a seamster, we could barter right? And this is gone.
It doesn't help that some dentist I guess was busted for giving free dental work for free lap dances...

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

I liked it until I finished it and realized it was supposed to be a true story. A little too touchy-feely for me.