Other must-read websites (which are not blogs)

Your favorite books and links
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Work, consumerism, early retirement, investing
CLAWS

Retire Early Lifestyle

The Dollar Stretcher

Verdant.net

Capital Flow Analysis (their essays!)

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

Have you read the "Retire Early Lifestyle" book?

Cashflow

Post by Cashflow »

I read the Retire Early Lifestyle book back in 2006 when it first came out.
The bottom line is that the "retire early lifestyle" is a state of mind. You need the basic financial resources to pull it off, but you also improvise along the way because the world is always changing and you need to remain flexible.
Billy and Akaisha Kaderli, for example, like to travel all over the world (which is not my thing, but to each his or her own). Along the way, they take on temporary part-time jobs from time to time (which "subsidizes" their cashflow, while letting them meet new people and learn new things). They also find that goods and services are often much cheaper in other countries, which further relieves the strain on their budget.
The point is that they are having fun and getting paid at the same time, and they answer to themselves rather than a boss. They are financially free, which makes them lifestyle free.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

thanks Cashflow! do you still have the book? inclined to lend it out? ;)

Cashflow

Post by Cashflow »

I accidentally deleted the book last year when I cleaned out my hard drive. Once I read the book a couple of times, the material became obvious and I forgot I had it. I actually didn't miss the book until I saw this thread. :-)
I originally found Billy and Akaisha Kaderli's book from a link on the following site:

http://workless-livemore.com/
I semi-retired in 2006 due to career burnout and was looking for "moral support" material. Work Less, Live More had just been published by Nolo Press, so my new post-retirement lifestyle all came together.

Night Runner

Post by Night Runner »

This forum is fantastic: http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45
It's not about ERE per se - just finances, saving and investing in general. It gets quite a lot of traffic and there are 779 topics in the archive, so it's a great read, if nothing else.