Dead White Man's Clothes: The Environmental Disaster Fuelled by Used Clothes

Your favorite books and links
ducknald_don

Re: Dead White Man's Clothes: The Environmental Disaster Fuelled by Used Clothes

Post by ducknald_don »

I'm fairly confident about ours but we always come near the top of the table in the UK (Oxfordshire).

However I'm less confident about the value of recycling plastic. Given that we already burn things for energy and are struggling to eliminate plastic I think we might as well incinerate the stuff for now. None the less we do recycle ours, our normal bin just gets ash from the fire, dust from the vacuum and an occasional item that can't get recycled.

I did cycle into my local recycling centre and was told I couldn't use it on a bike. Given that I was already there I just stared at the guy until he relented.

Frita

Re: Dead White Man's Clothes: The Environmental Disaster Fuelled by Used Clothes

Post by Frita »

chenda wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:04 am
We have alternate weekly recycling/non recycling waste here although I've observed on some weeks it all gets mixed together. I don't know if it subsequently gets separated but it doesn't actually fill you with confidence.
I highly doubt that this doesn’t go straight to file 13. Our waste disposal service states that we must separate as they do not have time to do so and will toss out the whole batch. Perhaps accidentally mixing things on their end ultimately eliminates more work?
chenda wrote:
Our local 'recycling centre' as they now call themselves (known in the vernacular as 'the dump') proudly puts up signs saying things like 89% of waste recycled this month. But it's not clear how this is measured, by weight, volume, units ? Neither is it clear how much of this is plastic recycling. It easy to recycle garden waste like grass cuttings and vegetation, not so much a toaster or other electronic goods.
I make little mental bumper stickers to add the rest of the story to such signs. Often I brainstorm various versions before deciding on a favorite as it can be quite entertaining. Eighty-nine percent of waste being recycled seems too high, as in more aspirational than anything.
chenda wrote:
Neither do they allow pedestrian visits.
Just asinine, I show up on foot or by bike to glass recycling (not part of home collection) and jump to the front of the line. Now if I wanted to walk through the drive-through at some fastfood place, I would be out-of-luck. All the more reason to cook at home...

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

ducknald_don wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:59 am
I did cycle into my local recycling centre and was told I couldn't use it on a bike. Given that I was already there I just stared at the guy until he relented.
Good one, made me laugh!