The Network Self

Your favorite books and links
Ego

The Network Self

Post by Ego »

https://aeon.co/essays/the-self-is-not- ... identities

From her book of the same name. https://www.amazon.com/Network-Self-Rel ... 0367077485
Paradigmatic substances, such as the body, are systems of networks that are in constant process even when we don’t see that at a macro level: cells are replaced, hair and nails grow, food is digested, cellular and molecular processes are ongoing as long as the body is alive. Consciousness or the stream of awareness itself is in constant flux. Psychological dispositions or attitudes might be subject to variation in expression and occurrence. They’re not fixed and invariable, even when they’re somewhat settled aspects of a self. Social traits evolve. For example, Lindsey-as-daughter develops and changes. Lindsey-as-mother is not only related to her current traits, but also to her own past, in how she experienced being a daughter. Many past experiences and relations have shaped how she is now. New beliefs and attitudes might be acquired and old ones revised. There’s constancy, too, as traits don’t all change at the same pace and maybe some don’t change at all. But the temporal spread, so to speak, of the self means that how a self as a whole is at any time is a cumulative upshot of what it’s been and how it’s projecting itself forward.
-
Anchoring and transformation, continuity and liberation, sameness and change: the cumulative network is both-and, not either-or.
-
Seeing ourselves as a network is a fertile way to understand our complexity.

daylen

Re: The Network Self

Post by daylen »

I am a 4.69 dimensional being... now I am 4.70 dimensions... :arrow:

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

neat framework, but how does it help me get less crazy

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ertyu wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:00 pm
it helps you stop objectifying yourself? i don't really know...

deleuze and guattari's rhizomes have psychiatric implications.... but in lacanian terms.

it's the same thing as above, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizome_(philosophy)

only crazier (and more fun?)

but yeah, discrete objects are concepts not realities. beyond that notion, ymmv.

so... as for your question... i'd look into family systems theory for starters.

Qazwer

Post by Qazwer »

ertyu wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:00 pm
You do not have to be stuck on one definition of yourself be it about work, family etc etc

‘ Still, regret makes sense only if you’re the person who in the past acted in some way. When you regret, renounce and apologise, you acknowledge your changed self as continuous with and owning your own past as the author of the act. Anchoring and transformation, continuity and liberation, sameness and change: the cumulative network is both-and, not either-or.‘

You define yourself differently based on multiple dimensions that change over time. There is not just one fixed you. Each time you are in the same circumstance (job family whatever) it can be a different interaction on multiple components as at least you are different.