Being the Change: Live Well and Spark a Climate Revolution

Your favorite books and links
jennypenny

Being the Change: Live Well and Spark a Climate Revolution

Post by jennypenny »

Jacob mentioned this book in AxelHeyst's journal.
"Being the change is a great book or rather a great example of someone who has translated theoretical knowledge into "moral knowledge", that is, how to act in one's own life given that knowledge(*) Failing to do that is the biggest sticking point I see when it comes to climate change concerns for example, and many, particularly on the activist side get downright angry if it's pointed out to them. "Theoretical knowledge" or "theoretical concern" seems to compartmentalized into something that always affects "other people", "far away".

(*) I consider it somewhere between "I wish I had written that" and "Since someone has already written that, why do I need to write another one like it."

Amazon has a short documentary on Kalmus and the book available to prime members right now.

mooretrees

Re: Being the Change: Live Well and Spark a Climate Revolution

Post by mooretrees »

I really liked the book. I felt he was so positive about the changes he made that it was infectious. His biggest strength and how he might be more palatable to a lot of people is his strong focus on aligning values with lifestyle. That and not dealing in guilt. I’m making small changes to live more like I care about the earth and it does feel good.

RoamingFrancis

Re: Being the Change: Live Well and Spark a Climate Revolution

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Just watched the documentary! I was excited to that he spent the first 15 minutes talking about Vipassana mediation, as I've spent a good amount of time at Vipassana centers myself.