Escape Everything

Your favorite books and links
7Wannabe5

Re: Escape Everything

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

As I mentioned above, I thought one of the most interesting parts of this book was list of qualities that compose the good life offered by the author. This list was based both on his experience and the works of many philosophers.

1) Optimum health
2) As much free time as possible
3) A few dependable friendships
4) Simple sensual pleasures
5) Purposeful and purposeless intellectual stimulation
6) Satisfying creative outlet
7) Clean and dignified living space
8) Some good habits to be proud of

He also notes that once you get past the desire for "stuff", the real advantages money can often afford you would be: space, time, peace, privacy, and better health. I think this is very true and indicative of my obsession with constantly converting net worth into acreage with well-defined boundaries. It's also interesting to me that he lists "clean" and "dignified" as essential, but has "peace" and "privacy" on more-money-well-spent-can-buy-you-this list.

mooretrees

Re: Escape Everything

Post by mooretrees »

Bought the book on kindle (less than $5) and blazed through it on the plane ride to Florida. I really liked it. I got a lot out of some sections about dealing with anxiety, resistance to doubt, and his escape section. I liked the light-hearted tone and his description of the good life. I've been dealing with the reality of just being so damn tired after a work week that the weekend is just a recovery rather than an exploration of interests and such.

I really appreciated his focus on the multiple ways people can 'escape.' I think in this forum and in the greater world, the majority focus on saving a huge pile and then retiring. I'm too old to retire early and I won't be able to work full time for too much longer. Also, I remember something jollyscot said in someone's journal, something like: the money goal was so big that he changed his life, and then he didn't need as much as he'd saved because he'd changed his life. So, this book is really useful to present another outlook. He doesn't mention any retirement savings and any concrete plans for old age, but he does live in two countries that I don't think have the ridiculousness of American healthcare.

I also liked his take on using your time at work to plan your escape. I plan on doing just that when I get back from my vacation. Thanks G+J for recommending this book.