Financial Freedom by Bernice Cohen

Your favorite books and links
fiby41

Financial Freedom by Bernice Cohen

Post by fiby41 »

I'm in my native city and we went to a supermarket. I was there only to carry the load but at the checkout counter there was this rack of old books:

At this point, not to be smug, but there is only so much new I could learn from yet another book in this genre. It would be only theoretical knowledge anyway because I have no income yet so there is no scope for improvement. I feel saturated and don't want to do anything that would make me sick of reading FI literature. I'm not a minimalist but I fit all my stuff in a single bag which is full.

I was only able to read the back cover by the time it was time to leave, so I ask you...

Have you read this book? Heard of it?
Would it be worth a walk back to get it?

Do you stock up on FI literature and skim through it whenever you need that extra encouragement?

Will this 'one more book' hankering turn into the dreaded 'one more year syndrome'?

Leave it for someone who needs it more than I do?

daylen

Re: Financial Freedom by Bernice Cohen

Post by daylen »

fiby41 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:28 am
Leave it for someone who needs it more than I do?
I haven't heard of it, but +1 to this option. I have an extraordinary ability to judge a book by its cover (slight sarcasm).
Last edited by daylen on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

RealPerson

Re: Financial Freedom by Bernice Cohen

Post by RealPerson »

I don't have the skill to judge a book by its cover, but I think you can definitively skip this one. The sunflower picture and something about outsmarting the future made my BS alarm go off.

fiby41

Will cut my toes off and step on the receipt before I foot the bill

Post by fiby41 »

I did go back but for other books.

The Limits to Growth by Meadows

This book is in the ERE reading list which is at the back of the ERE book. Read it back in 2015 after 12th during vacation. Found a mention of it in a journal entry: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6084#p94916

Was reminded how hard it was to obtain the first time for reading.

I'm so cheap I can turn a happy meal sad. I had only come to pick these books but I waved them at the cashier just to attract attention of the girl customer at the counter. An employee from inside the counter came out. I guess he was waiting for me as I had spent considerable time at the free old books shelf. He asked for money.

- How much?

He quoted a price which is about equivalent to a dollar each.

- Even for this small book?

I said pointing at the another book I got which was Famous & Historical Trials. Anyone who followed the Conspiracy theories thread was probably sick of me spamming it incessently with these.

He- Yes

- Wait.. then lemme get another one.

Which is when I also took the Financial Freedom book. I asked for the receipt which is when he bailed back inside without taking my money. (Meme reference: shut up and take my money)

The girl turned back her head 180 degrees to check me out. She was about my height, few years younger and with her mother. After they had paid and got their stuff, which took time, she pestered her mother for a pack of biscuits which bought her enough time to turn around completely. Her mother dismissed her by saying don't be petulant (to that effect.) She changed the topic to weather what they bought would be enough for ... but by this time I had buried my head in my new found treasure.