Buckminster Fuller's Energy Slaves [Comic form]

Your favorite books and links
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Re: Buckminster Fuller's Energy Slaves [Comic form]

Post by jacob » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:04 pm

Not enough nuclear reactors to burn it and overwhelmingly impossible to get them through the regulatory process (nobody wants them or their waste in their backyard) and build them fast enough. There are some theoretical designs, but nobody wants to build them. Companies get started ... and then go out of business after a few years. Best lesson for this is to look at some old promises from 2015, 2010, 2005, etc. and see how far they've come since then.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:20 pm

I told someone recently that I use a clothesline instead of a dryer. After convincing her that I do, in fact, own a working dryer but choose not to use it, she asked "How do you dry clothes on a rainy day?" When I said that I just didn't do laundry on rainy days, she was completely flummoxed.

There's a weird immediacy built into the culture now. We've lost the ecological/economical 'rhythms' that made sense in a world with limits. When forced to face impending energy issues, people will struggle with the time constraints as much as any overall limits on power usage.
Last edited by jennypenny on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stand@desk

Post by stand@desk » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:22 pm

Our PM has declared there is a "climate emergency"
But when it comes to one of Taleb's points of wisdom, "don't look at what people say, look at what people do." How many Scientists from the middle lattitudes are moving North to escape this "emergency?" I'll bet a few haven't done so yet. But if we are in an emergency, it kind of means the time to act was yesterday.

Also, for anyone on this forum, what would it take for you in terms of climate to make the move north (or south)? Is it already time or is there a reason to justify some more can kicking?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:33 pm

@s@d - Actually, it's not all that uncommon among those who know what they're talking about. Look at the links in the Deep Adaption thread for examples of scientists quitting and moving. The other issue is timing. If you're a 60 year old climate scientist, San Diego is probably fine. Whereas if you're 30 and looking to start a family and possible put down roots somewhere, it's a whole other matter. Don't confuse price and value. The value is in the north. But the price might justify other choices depending on one's personal discount rate. That discount rate is still very much determined by what's practical. If you know that the SW US is sunk by a 13th century style megadrought by the end of the century, but you have a job offer in Phoenix for the next 3 years, what would you do?

The idea of "surfing" the predicament is applicable. It would make a good book title.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:01 pm

@jp
That’s something we noticed when we were in the USA.
in Italy people usually pay attention to that kind of stuff.
It is customary for people to do the laundry and hang it outside based on weather
Being poorer helps in resource optimization :)

@s@d: DW and I actually had a discussion a couple weeks ago about moving to the nordics in the next three to five years.

stand@desk

Post by stand@desk » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:25 pm

That's just it though right? Having a discussion about moving to the Nordics is different than moving there. I suppose some rich people have already set-up bunkers and others might be living off the grid already, but that is the exception rather than the norm I'd speculate.

Emergency means there the house is on fire, time to get out. Not, oh, the house is on fire, but I'll still stay in it because it's one room over. If people aren't getting out of the house, maybe it's not on fire?

chenda

Post by chenda » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:37 pm

@s@d - don't presuppose people are acting rationally and not suffering from inertia or misinformation. People only leave en mass if there's war or famine or similar; an immediate crisis which threatens their basic needs.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:16 pm

stand@desk wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:25 pm
Emergency means there the house is on fire, time to get out. Not, oh, the house is on fire, but I'll still stay in it because it's one room over. If people aren't getting out of the house, maybe it's not on fire?
The climate is baked in already. The emergency is whether or not we care to limit the future damage and because there's a lead time to the effects, too many people still think we're doing just fine.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:41 am

Stuart McMillen (the author of the OP cartoon) talks about Buckmister Fuller:
https://soundcloud.com/user-494053335/b ... t-mcmillen

CS

Post by CS » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:24 am

Only about a quarter of the way through but really like that podcast. McMillen is delightfully knowledgeable and well spoken!