Nice Shout out to ERE

Your favorite books and links
Jason

Re: Nice Shout out to ERE

Post by Jason »

The Corleone family in "The Godfather" is based on the family structure of "The Brothers Karamazov". So if you are familiar with at least the movie (which is faithful to the book in that regard), you have a template of TBK.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

If I was permitted to recommend only one of his books, it would be “Demons.”

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

jacob wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:31 am
I don't like TV because it's 1) one of the least productive way of spending one's time given the low information rate---IOW, it's a time sink; and 2) because the TV format also inherently limits the complexity of the information that's presented. If we plotted a 2D graph with information rate and complexity respectively for different media, TV would sit in one corner of that graph.
I would argue that conveying information isn't the strength of TV/Video, but instead that it's strength lies in conveying narrative. Unfortunately, I suspect that for the vast majority of people that aren't on the INT spectrum that narrative is far more important for changing minds and inspiring that raw data can be and as such unfortunately TV/Video holds far more power to change minds than books/text does.

This unfortunately also makes TV/Video extremely useful for things such as propaganda, because it is easier to convince people that they are living the narrative you want them to believe they live.