Gene Wolfe: Latro in the mist (fiction)

Your favorite books and links
Mikeallison

Gene Wolfe: Latro in the mist (fiction)

Post by Mikeallison »

Just finished this...wow what a ride. Anybody else encounter this guy? Setting is Greece as Herodotus saw it. Author is very much the erudite (leans a little heavy on Graves and Herodotus maybe, but still knows his stuff). He uses an unreliable narrator by design, and could care less if you get lost because of it, yet it doesn't feel gimmicky like he is covering up for being sloppy, lazy, or incoherent.

If fact I would call him meticulous. The pieces are all there for you to put together, but you have to work for it. I had to draw on my patchy historical knowledge, alongside what I know (or could look up) of the cultural and religious ideas of classical Greece to figure out what was really going on, but he makes the riddles enticing enough to be worth the trouble.

Anyway thought I would share if there are any sci-fi/fantasy fans out there. I rarely read fiction anymore, but when I find something this good I like to recommended it. Sorry for the vague description, didn't want to spoil or ramble on too much. If anybody is interested in checking it out let me know and I'd be happy to send the book for whatever they want to ship it.

Mister Imperceptible

Re: Gene Wolfe: Latro in the mist (fiction)

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

I’ll take it.

Also, if you cast any of your inexpensive homemade .38 special rounds, I’ll send you cash for those as well.

I sent you a private message.

Welcome back.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Gene Wolfe has been around for a long time. He is definitely interested more in crafting his writing than writing something to sell.

I've taken to digging up some old sf authors. Frederic Brown is turning into a favorite now. Long enjoyed C. M. Kornbluth.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

George the original one wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:32 pm
I’ll gladly accept anything on your shelf that is accumulating dust. :)

Mikeallison

Post by Mikeallison »

George the original one wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Gene Wolfe has been around for a long time. He is definitely interested more in crafting his writing than writing something to sell.
I like authors who make you work for it, the first two in Dan Simmons Hyperion series are also a fun and crazy ride.

Have you read any of the Book of the New Sun by Wolfe? They are the next works of fiction I was considering.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Mikeallison wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:28 pm
Have you read any of the Book of the New Sun by Wolfe? They are the next works of fiction I was considering.
Yes, I read it back in '84 or '85, but don't remember a single bit of it!