Prognastat's Introduction

Say hello!!
prognastat

Prognastat's Introduction

Post by prognastat »

Nice to meet you all. I have already been posting a little, but figured in introduction was in order.

I grew up in the Netherlands, started using computers around age 4-5. Grew up in working class household. Was a geek and loner through most of my youth. Finished high school equivalent and started college before getting married to an American girl, dropping out within my first year of college, going through immigration and moving to the US.

Having no real job experience I bounced through a few customer service/technical support jobs at which time I was mostly distracted by new challenges. Over time my employment became more stable and as I went through multiple promotions it became harder to get promoted again as quickly. This lead to me realising that I'm not well suited remaining in the same position for a long time(it seems I tend to get extremely bored of a new job in about 1-2 years) and got stuck in a job under a manager I absolutely didn't get along with. During these experiences I started figuring out that I was stuck holding on to those jobs as I didn't have the finances to not buckle down and stick with it. Up to this point though never being so consumerist as to be in debt, we had some savings however a very minimal amount.

I was 25 and it was during this time that I started looking in to financial information online and came across some FIRE blogs such as ERE, MMM, and JLCollinsnh etc. The more I read the more I came to the conclusion that this was a feasible alternative.

Throughout this time it has been a negotiation with my wife. If it were completely up to me we would be living much closer to the ERE side of the FIRE spectrum, however my wife isn't really interested and is mostly just humouring me on the FIRE stuff so our situation ends up closer to a slightly spendier MMM.

I am now 29, our savings rate last year was about 60% and we are at about 7x annual spending saved up(excluding our house from the NW).

wolf

Re: Prognastat's Introduction

Post by wolf »

Welcome! Nice to meet you too!
You have quite good conditions. You are young, have already a high SR, have something saved and a relationship with a partner who supports you. Great start. What are your goals?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

prognastat wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:17 pm
The more I read the more I came to the conclusion that this [FIRE] was a feasible alternative.
maybe the only feasible alternative.

welcome.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

wolf wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:35 pm
Welcome! Nice to meet you too!
You have quite good conditions. You are young, have already a high SR, have something saved and a relationship with a partner who supports you. Great start. What are your goals?
Support might be a big word for it. More like tolerates.

At the moment my goals are to be FI by having 25x expenses and our house paid off by 35. Since I get bored quickly I don't know exactly what I'll do after I reach FI, but chances are I'll try investing more time in hobbies some of which may turn in to revenue generating some may not, but I don't want generating income to be the primary concern anymore at that point and to just do what I want to do rather than what I have to do.

Since I'm starting to get closer to 30 recently I've also been focusing more on my health, eating healthier and working out, which alongside FIRE are probably my two big focuses at the moment.
Last edited by prognastat on Fri May 25, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

BRUTE wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:08 am
prognastat wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:17 pm
The more I read the more I came to the conclusion that this [FIRE] was a feasible alternative.
maybe the only feasible alternative.

welcome.
If you don't want to be a wage slave it definitely seems to be that way.