New member living just outside Philadelphia

Say hello!!
Phill-nance

New member living just outside Philadelphia

Post by Phill-nance »

Hi everyone!

I’m a self-described finance geek and all around curious guy. I spent 7.5 years in the Army as a telecommunications soldier before pursuing a college education. I of course majored in finance in undergrad, and then I went on to concentrate in competitive strategy and finance for my MBA.

I’m new to the Philly area (living in Bucks county) and looking to meet some like minded people who enjoy nature, learning, and having fun. My fiance and I usually take day trips on the weekend to cool hiking spots, and do batch cooking on Sundays.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone and potentially meeting a few people too!

All the best,
Phill(nance)

2Birds1Stone

Re: New member living just outside Philadelphia

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Welcome!

What are your ERE goals?

Phill-nance

Post by Phill-nance »

Thanks, 2Birds1Stone! I’m happy I found a community like this.

ERE goals are to step away from the normal working economy in the next two to five years. In the mean time I’m focusing on expanding my useful skill sets.

I’m currently experimenting with growing food (gardening if you will), riding my bike to work, and batch cooking. I just got started with the gardening, but the biking and batch cooking are coming along nicely.

Any advice for a newbie to the community?

Jason

Post by Jason »

My wife and I frequently take day trips to Bucks county. Beautiful area.

Are you a native Philadelphian? You seem too intelligent and well adjusted to be one.

Phill-nance

Post by Phill-nance »

Hi Jason! It really is beautiful up here. Check out Tyler State Park if you get a chance.

Nope, I’m a Floridian. But, I’m not sure that is a good indicator of being intelligent or well adjusted either :)

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome Phill(nance)!

How did you find out about ERE? And how old are you?

Phill-nance wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:01 pm
Looking forward to hearing from everyone and potentially meeting a few people too!
Yeah, meeting in the physical world would be a bit difficult, because I am from Germany, but meeting digitally around here is also a quite entertaining alternative! :)

Jason

Post by Jason »

@ Phill

I would take a native Floridian over a Philadelphian any day of the week. But the fact that you chose to move from Florida to Philadelphia raises some serious concerns.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Hi Phill-nance!

Welcome! What kind of meals do you and your fiance like cooking during your cooking sessions? I have some killer recipes I've learned to make that you two might enjoy. Simple, inexpensive, filling and impressive when served to those who don't cook often :)

Phill-nance

Post by Phill-nance »

Hi everyone!

@Wolf - I found ERE through some random online searching. I stumbled into some online communities about fi/re and there was a lot of credit given to Jacob. So, I ordered the book and started reading. It resonated with me so here I am.

I’m 31 years old with a birthday coming up in September.

I use to live just outside of Stuttgart. What part of Germany do you live in?

@Jason - Too funny! I moved up here for work. I tell people there are more job opportunities between Philly and NYC then the whole state of Florida. Technically I work in NJ but chose to live in PA for tax reasons. I ride my bike to work as often as my knees will allow though. It’s only about eleven miles commute.

Are you from PA originally?

@davtherman12 - I started making recipes out of a book called “Well Fed” and “How to Cook Everything the basics”. Once we got somewhat proficient we started looking things up online to cook too. Mostly I try to cook stews because they are so easy and always turn out amazing. Grilled chicken on the grill is another easy and tasty option. What are your favorite recipes?

Jason

Post by Jason »

@ Phil

I never lived there but a few years back I was traveling to Glenside a few times a week. As I said, it's really nice there. With the exception of the people.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

I live the in western suburbs of Philly. I think the philly area is a pretty ideal place for the accumulation phase as the costs are reasonable, but there are relatively high paying jobs. Much more reasonable than living in nyc.

Phill-nance

Post by Phill-nance »

@Jason - I had look up where Glenside is. It looks like it is way too close to Philly! Anytime I’ve been in places that populated I run into wackos.

@James_0011 - I moved up here from Florida for exactly that reason, accumulation. There have been some pleasant surprises too. For example, actually having seasons which is not a thing in Florida.

Are you from the area or are you a transplant too?

My older brother is in NYC and is getting crushed by the cost of living. He manages to save a bit but it isn’t much. He was doing much better in Seoul teaching English than he is here in the states. All that said, I’m happy he is within driving distance again.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

@ Phill-nance

Well I have a lot of experience with classic Mexican dishes made from scratch i.e enchilladas, sopas, picadillos, ceviche etc. But lately I've started to branch out and try different recipes. I really like this recipe book my girlfriend brought home one day https://www.amazon.com/One-Pot-Skillet- ... 0307954412. Stews and soups are my favorite so far but the girlfriend doesn't seem to approve when I decide to make a stew and yet its warm outside. Hmm I wonder why? :lol:

Randy

Post by Randy »

@davtheram12, you should post some some of your recipes on the recipes thread. I would definitely like to see some tasty and simple Mexican dishes

Also, welcome Phill-nance :)

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

@Randy

That's a great idea! I nearly forgot there was a recipe thread.
Just last night I made shrimp ceviche, fideo with potatoes and 4 cups of fresh roasted salsa :P

Phill-nance

Post by Phill-nance »

@davetherman12 - Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to see about getting a copy of that book 😁

@Randy - I didn’t know there was a recipe thread. I obviously need to do some more looking around on this site!