Hi From North West United Kingdom

Say hello!!
Nomad

Hi From North West United Kingdom

Post by Nomad »

Hello there,
I am 50 and I live in the North West of the UK.
In recent years I've been saving for retirement quite aggressively but I have only just found out about ERE - the book and the website/forum.

I have been managing the investment of my pensions personally for a few years and I've done well so far.
My job is in IT and I'm considering contracting in the future and possibly taking intentional gaps between contracts as a stepping stone to retirement.

I am generally excited and pre-occupied by the idea of retirement but I will be the first of my friends to retire and that may be a little strange.

wolf

Re: Hi From North West United Kingdom

Post by wolf »

welcome tiberius!
North west of UK, I gotta think...is that the Liverpool-Manchester area? I know the football teams. I hope I remember it correctly? what would be the traditional retirement age for you? I guess retiring in your fifties is way earlier?

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Hi Wolf,

Yep, that's the Liverpool/Manchester area and football is 'the' game around here. The traditional retirement age for state pension was 65 but recently the government decided to increase it so I won't get my state pension until 67.
I can get access to my private pensions at 55 so will definitely be retired then as I have been putting quite a lot of money aside into those. However, I'm hoping to go around 53 which will require money I have immediate access to.
What is normal retirement age in Germany?

wolf

Post by wolf »

The traditional retirement age is also 67 years. It was increased in the last few years. I guess when I will come into the retirement area I will need to work till 72 years or so. I wish you the best in achieving yor goals. Maybe the free years are more worth it than having a few hundred bucks a month more. Your plan sounds feasible. Go for it!