Hello from another earthling

Say hello!!
ira_kart

Hello from another earthling

Post by ira_kart »

Hello All

I have been a lurker for sometime now; so wanted to introduce myself and "formally" join the community. I am planning to start my journal in next couple of days since the work week for the next few weeks appear to be so much dull.

I am Indian by birth, worked in US for quite some time and currently in Europe for work to "experience" life in EU.

see ya

liberty

Re: Hello from another earthling

Post by liberty »

Welcome ira_kart! How you like life in Europe?

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome! What's the difference in work culture between US and Europe (maybe country-specific)?

ira_kart

Post by ira_kart »

liberty wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:32 pm
Welcome ira_kart! How you like life in Europe?
Liberty - I like it here at least for now for the money I am making, though the boredom of mundane-ness is setting in slowly. I have put a stop on my usual "travel-face/character" to analyse, understand and experience Jacob's controversial thoughts on travelling/tourism thing. I think I will take time to do that. But usually, it has been my behaviour to save initially in a new country before starting to spend on travelling, so I do not know how it is going to go.
wolf wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:29 am
Welcome! What's the difference in work culture between US and Europe (maybe country-specific)?
Culture shock is abundant, Wolf. I am adapting and adjusting to it.

Typical example- personal space at work. I feel people are incredibly close to me when talking/conversing. I am distancing myself to make myself comfortable. My eyes gape in surprise when people stand shoulder to shoulder in the pantry/break room to wash coffee cups/mugs. I usually wait in line to wash my coffee cup, but colleagues just go oblivious to the my existence there and talk to the person who is currently using the sink and use the sink once the current user is gone. It was a shock for the first time and has happened a couple of times. I think I need to make myself comfortable in standing closer to people.

Another one - "hi..How are you/how are you doing?" is a standard "hi" in US. The other party usually respond with the standard "good/fine" irrespective of how they are "really/actually" feeling/doing?. In Poland, everyone gives me a second look when I start my conversation since "how are you" is considered as a serious question here. They think I am really concerned about them. While some of them are aware of the US culture around this, in my initial weeks, I got a lot of surprising stares on asking this question. I have adapted myself to not ask this question anymore, but sometimes, I just blurt it out of habit.

Many more come to mind, but I will stop here. Hope I have responded to your question aptly.