Greetings

Say hello!!
Mikeallison

Greetings

Post by Mikeallison »

Hello! I've been lurking around for awhile, finally decided to see if I could contribute, or maybe share in some of the wisdom around here. I'm currently unemployed, but I've done a bit of everything. Recently I hand built my own cabin in northern idaho. I managed to do the carpentry, plumbing, and electrical on my own. Professionally I've worked mainly office and service jobs, and I graduated from college in 2015 with a degree in history, a field which I'm very passionate about (although the job market is a bit tough). I've managed to save about 8 years of expenses so far, and I'm debt free. Oh and I own my cabin and land outright. Anyway, look forward to joining the discussion around here, seems like there are a Lot of cool people.

Jason

Re: Greetings

Post by Jason »

Mikeallison wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:18 pm
Recently I hand built my own cabin in northern idaho.
Impressive.

Mikeallison

Post by Mikeallison »

Thanks! It was alot of work, but thanks to a prior job helping to flip houses, I had a little bit of experience in construction.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I’ve had a lot of experience with lincoln logs so I’ve done it numerous times, albeit on a smaller scale.

RFS

Post by RFS »

Jason wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:29 pm
I’ve had a lot of experience with lincoln logs so I’ve done it numerous times, albeit on a smaller scale.
:lol: I've heard that wiring those for electricity and plumbing is a real pain in the ass.

Mikeallison, that is truly awesome. Nice work with the 8 years of expenses as well. Do you have any goals laid out for the future? You should definitely start a journal.

Mikeallison

Post by Mikeallison »

RFS wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:15 am

Mikeallison, that is truly awesome. Nice work with the 8 years of expenses as well. Do you have any goals laid out for the future? You should definitely start a journal.
Thanks!

Well I landed a part time job, mostly to keep occupied during the long winters up here. I recently received an unexpected inheritance that has pushed me to 40 years of expenses, so that pretty much took care of the accumulation phase. Maybe I could start a journal for all of the other oddball stuff I get up to haha.

As far as goals go, hard to say, I live where I would want to vacation, so while I would like to explore the west of the US more, I have little desire to travel abroad. I'm really happy with my life as it is, I pretty much get to decide how my time is spent, I'm surrounded by beauty, and I get to spend alot of time with my family. I may try some volunteer work to try and give back, since I've been unusually blessed, but other than that I have enough hobbies and stuff to do to keep my life feeling meaningful and fulfilling.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome Mikeallison!

A journal is always a good idea! I guess besides me many others here are also interested in "other oddball stuff" you get up to. :-) New ideas, insights, inspirations, ...

I looked up Idaho on GoogleMaps (as I am not familiar with all the states, because I live in Germany.) Norther Idaho looks pretty nice regarding nature, outdoors, ... And well done on your cabin! Such things inspires me, living in outdoors in an own built cabin.

Looking forward to read more. Take Care!

TheFIminator

Post by TheFIminator »

Welcome here Mikeallison. Certainly a lot of cool and knowledgeable people here. Are you at FIRE now or on the way? * years of savings is quite impressive,